Electrical

Participant count
  • Participant list

cb045

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hello

I am looking to run three Skar VVX 12 dual 2 ohms. I will be using a Sundown SIA-3500D. These subs will most likely only pull 3k at the most but they will be wired to 1.33 ohms so i will definitely have enough power from my amp. I was wondering what size alternator I should get. My stock alternator is 100 amps. I would like to get the smallest one I can while still maintaining atleast 12.5 volts. I do not want to get a huge alternator and fry my electrical system because of it. I was also expecting to get a second battery in the future. How many amps should I go with?

A large alternator will not harm your electrical system. They do not run at full output all of the time. Only when their is an amp draw that requires it to keep the voltage up.

A large alternator will not harm your electrical system. They do not run at full output all of the time. Only when their is an amp draw that requires it to keep the voltage up.
Ok thank you. How many amps do you recommend? I was thinking maybe 320 but if i do have to go up to 400 thats alright

Isn't it basically, any electronic component in the car sees the voltage your amp sees, and each electronic component draws the current it needs?

Having a higher amp alternator does not cram electricity down every circuit in your car.

A large alternator is just capable of maintaining voltage as current draw increases.

My limited understanding.. am I right?

I'm running a smart3k at 1ohm plus a power t400.4...I've got a 320a alternator, a 50ah agm under the hood, and a 100ah agm in the back...big 3 plus power and grounds done in 1/0 ofc...my stock alternator was a 95a...I haven't had any electrical issues and I'm able to maintain good voltage for my amps....

Hello

I am looking to run three Skar VVX 12 dual 2 ohms. I will be using a Sundown SIA-3500D. These subs will most likely only pull 3k at the most but they will be wired to 1.33 ohms so i will definitely have enough power from my amp. I was wondering what size alternator I should get. My stock alternator is 100 amps. I would like to get the smallest one I can while still maintaining atleast 12.5 volts. I do not want to get a huge alternator and fry my electrical system because of it. I was also expecting to get a second battery in the future. How many amps should I go with?
You correctly phrased that your amp pulls current, then incorrectly implied that your alternator pushes current in the same post? I'm dumbfounded.
Isn't it basically, any electronic component in the car sees the voltage your amp sees, and each electronic component draws the current it needs?

Having a higher amp alternator does not cram electricity down every circuit in your car.

A large alternator is just capable of maintaining voltage as current draw increases.

My limited understanding.. am I right?
You are correct in theory. Voltage is constant across all branches of a parallel circuit.

The variable is wire size, which can cause voltage drop across the wire. Current is constant through all components in a series circuit. That's why things like properly sized wire and "big 3" make such an impact.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...