Dudeogo's Mazdaspeed 3 Build

dudeogo

Actually a Potato
Sep 20, 2016
Springfield, Mo
Starting the build log for my 2008 Mazdaspeed 3. A lot of parts are arriving so I figure now is a good time to start. Right now I've got in hand 8 Unlawful Sounds 8" mids, 6 Unlawful Sounds super tweeters, Pioneer AVH4200NEX, 15" B2 XM15, and a Alphard Machete 80.4. Still coming are sub amps (Undecided), 2 more super tweeters to complete the set of 8, a machete 150.4, Team GP Alternator, and enough NorthStar power to keep the lights on! Starting the work on the custom panels possibly tonight. Will update with pictures as work progresses. Installed 4 of the mid in very temporary locations and I am very happy with them. Unlawful makes a good product. Seem to be the exact same as the B2 rage series. 

OP
dudeogo

dudeogo

Actually a Potato
Sep 20, 2016
Springfield, Mo
Deciding between Apocalypse AAB4800 or Soundigital EVO5000. Price is very similar. Opinions? I mean at their core theyre both soundigital amps. 

OP
dudeogo

dudeogo

Actually a Potato
Sep 20, 2016
Springfield, Mo
Just thought I'd make a post detailing all of the performance work done to the car. 

• Corksport Stage 2 Rear Motor Mount
  • Corksport Passenger Motor Mount
  • Corksport Transmission Mount
  • Corksport High Pressure Fuel Pump
  • Corksport Short Shifter
  • COBB Intake
  • COBB Acessport V3 (Tuned)
  • GPlus Turbo  Inlet Pipe
  • CPe EGR Delete
  • JDM PROSPORT Front Mount intercooler
  • Custom 3" Catless Exhaust with Turbo XS Muffler 
  • 10" Wide 17" Rims, Unknown brand but made in Italy so would assume they are OZ
  • 255/40/17 Bridgestone Potenza RE-11s
  • YellowSpeed Coilovers

aburger003

CarAudio.com Newbie
Sep 12, 2018
Sounds good, would love to see a pic of the car so we know what you're working with.

OP
dudeogo

dudeogo

Actually a Potato
Sep 20, 2016
Springfield, Mo
Sounds good, would love to see a pic of the car so we know what you're working with.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/UnVVnd3rEdaj2NGQ9

Been meaning to get some photos up was just having some issues finding a good way to share them! Basically everything there is temporary. The mids are getting custom door panels and I will be building a 4th order box for the woofer most likely just wanted to get some music going in the car! Sucks driving in silence 

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
dudeogo

dudeogo

Actually a Potato
Sep 20, 2016
Springfield, Mo
Just waiting on my big roll of fiberglass to show up in the mail. Anything I should know about SMD Sunflash, or reccomendations on a better resin? this is my first go around with fiberglass

OP
dudeogo

dudeogo

Actually a Potato
Sep 20, 2016
Springfield, Mo
Thats a lot of mids and tweeters with very little power going to them.  Are you bridging the amps to stereo mode and doing network mode? 
Well yes, I do not have the Deaf Bonce 180.4 from my teammate yet, but was planning on running the tweets to the 80.4 bridging 2 channels per door for 60 watts per tweeter and then the same with the mids for 125 watts per mid. But that is really still not enough power. Have had the thought in the back of my mind to buy 2 Taramps 3ks for mids since the price has come down so much. Would give me room to grow. Crossover wise, even though I have a flagship pioneer (AVH4200NEX) it did not come equipped with network mode. It does, however, have a HPF in the unit for the front channel. So the plan was to run the HPF at 80hz then LPF the mids on their amp at 8khz and then the tweets already have passive crossovers on them, but would HPF the amp at 8khz for them as well.  

Jeffdachef

Gunz That Turn on Nunz
Feb 5, 2013
South Coast Metro, CA
Well yes, I do not have the Deaf Bonce 180.4 from my teammate yet, but was planning on running the tweets to the 80.4 bridging 2 channels per door for 60 watts per tweeter and then the same with the mids for 125 watts per mid. But that is really still not enough power. Have had the thought in the back of my mind to buy 2 Taramps 3ks for mids since the price has come down so much. Would give me room to grow. Crossover wise, even though I have a flagship pioneer (AVH4200NEX) it did not come equipped with network mode. It does, however, have a HPF in the unit for the front channel. So the plan was to run the HPF at 80hz then LPF the mids on their amp at 8khz and then the tweets already have passive crossovers on them, but would HPF the amp at 8khz for them as well.  
should work fairly well

• Thanks
Reactions: dudeogo
OP
dudeogo

dudeogo

Actually a Potato
Sep 20, 2016
Springfield, Mo
I'm liking the doors. How are you going to finish them?
2 Layers of clear coated carbon fiber weave is the plan. May cheap out and just paint them gloss black on the fiberglass layer. But I'm pretty set on carbon fiber right now. 

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
dudeogo

dudeogo

Actually a Potato
Sep 20, 2016
Springfield, Mo
So definitely decided to go taramps on my mids, so if anyone shows interest in a Machete 80.4 or a JL Audio 300/4 I will make a full classifieds listing for either. No use for them so will sell fairly cheap and ship! 

with how cheap taramps 3ks are I could grab 2 and still be under $400 on amps. That's just wild. Will have to see what I need to do to support them. Shitty thing about my car is that it is a double regulated charging system. Meaning that even if I put a 2,000,000 amp alternator under the hood (lol) it will still only put out 110 amps unless I do a fully externally regulated system and I don't know how having an externally regulated single alt will affect my car's sensors because I have not messed with one before. Please reply with insight I would greatly appreciate it. 

OP
dudeogo

dudeogo

Actually a Potato
Sep 20, 2016
Springfield, Mo
Don't mean to leave the build thread dormant! It is midterms time at my college so I have been very busy with school and the project has sat a little bit. The first layer of glass is on the doors. Got a lot of cleaning to do but it is coming along. My Soundigital 5k is being shipped right now and have a meeting for a possible sponsorship later this week. Door update photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/UAGx8QmtJNkrzfMm8

OP
dudeogo

dudeogo

Actually a Potato
Sep 20, 2016
Springfield, Mo
5k Will be here monday. Just picked up a Northstar group 31 thats still in warranty for $100. What a deal. Got a line on another for a similar price so will hop on that. Doing some sanding and filling on the driver door today. Hoping to have it ready for paint by the end of the weekend. Decided to go 2 15s instead of a single. 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Trending topics

Latest classifieds