Do I really need an H/O alternator for 2 12" Orion hcca 2500 watt rms speakers?

So where are you expecting to get the 400 plus amps required to power that amp? Thin air?

Yes you need a alternator, yes you need the big 3. You probably jacked up the ground.

If you have to ask this question you are over your head.

So where are you expecting to get the 400 plus amps required to power that amp? Thin air?Yes you need a alternator, yes you need the big 3. You probably jacked up the ground.

If you have to ask this question you are over your head.
That's the question. It runs fine from what I can tell (which isn't a whole lot) on the stock alt and no big three. The voltage dipped to 11.9 only once in the two months I've been runnin it like this. I understand why I need the H/O alt, but what I'm not understanding is why it ran fine without any upgrades? I've got the H/O alt installed yesterday. I haven't got a chance to drive around and compare.

That's the question. It runs fine from what I can tell (which isn't a whole lot) on the stock alt and no big three. The voltage dipped to 11.9 only once in the two months I've been runnin it like this. I understand why I need the H/O alt, but what I'm not understanding is why it ran fine without any upgrades? I've got the H/O alt installed yesterday. I haven't got a chance to drive around and compare.
If it's fine then that amp is VERY overrated, or you are wired higher then 2ohm, or its setup VERY conservative.

op i have seen front battery measuring 13v and a volt meter on the rear amp terminals reading 10v

if you are not measuring the voltage at the amp input terminals you are probably not getting the correct reading if you suddenly dropped voltage after adding the big3

No. If he isn't dropping at 4K he isn't getting 4k
It does go down, but slowly with out the upgrades. I can't take much more than 15 minutes at a time at full volume. How long should 4K take to drop the voltage from 13.8-14 volts at start up to 11.5 volts with an avarage rpm at 2000 and running 80 amp alt with no big three and 2 XS power 3100ds. Maybe I'm not listening to it a full volume long enough to drop it past an unsafe level. I'm going to go back to the shop and see if they can test the voltage from the amp. I'm also entering in s car stereo competition this Sunday so I'll be able to see how loud it is.

It does go down, but slowly with out the upgrades. I can't take much more than 15 minutes at a time at full volume. How long should 4K take to drop the voltage from 13.8-14 volts at start up to 11.5 volts with an avarage rpm at 2000 and running 80 amp alt with no big three and 2 XS power 3100ds. Maybe I'm not listening to it a full volume long enough to drop it past an unsafe level. I'm going to go back to the shop and see if they can test the voltage from the amp. I'm also entering in s car stereo competition this Sunday so I'll be able to see how loud it is.
Lol import faceoff, will be there.

That's cool, it'll be my first car show I've been to so I'm looking forward to it. I wanna see how I stack up in the Crank it Up contest. Check out some other rides, check out thier subs and speakers so I can get a feel for the different brands and set ups and get some pointers hopefully.

So I drove around yesterday for anout an hour playing different songs at various levels and watched the voltmeter. When starting up it starts at 14.7, before it was 13.8-14.1. Voltmeter never got above 14.1 on stock. I can turn it up maybe 2-3x louder before the voltage drops on heavy bass songs (at least it seems louder). When the voltage drops it charges up MUCH faster now. Before it would drop to 12.1-12.4. and it took awhile to get back up to around 14 volts unless I was on the freeway. It now averages 1 volt higher and if I'm listing to it at normal listening levels it stays at 14.4-14.7

That's cool, it'll be my first car show I've been to so I'm looking forward to it. I wanna see how I stack up in the Crank it Up contest. Check out some other rides, check out thier subs and speakers so I can get a feel for the different brands and set ups and get some pointers hopefully.
So I drove around yesterday for anout an hour playing different songs at various levels and watched the voltmeter. When starting up it starts at 14.7, before it was 13.8-14.1. Voltmeter never got above 14.1 on stock. I can turn it up maybe 2-3x louder before the voltage drops on heavy bass songs (at least it seems louder). When the voltage drops it charges up MUCH faster now. Before it would drop to 12.1-12.4. and it took awhile to get back up to around 14 volts unless I was on the freeway. It now averages 1 volt higher and if I'm listing to it at normal listening levels it stays at 14.4-14.7
Again where is your voltmeter attached or are you just looking at your stock voltmeter in the dash ? Is this with HO alt and big three ? Anyways sounds like your doing better now. When you go to the show you should talk to people and show them what you got and take suggestions and research them since you kinda new to this. Have fun at the show and post up meter results.

YES

doubt it, but way better than not having it

yes

My daily driver is a 12 accord with 2 fosgate t1500s and a t600.4. Even with a 240amp alt, big 3 and a huge stinger in the trunk I drop to 11v while driving at times

Again where is your voltmeter attached or are you just looking at your stock voltmeter in the dash ? Is this with HO alt and big three ? Anyways sounds like your doing better now. When you go to the show you should talk to people and show them what you got and take suggestions and research them since you kinda new to this. Have fun at the show and post up meter results.
Voltmeter is in the ciggerette lighter. I had it tested for accuracy and the volts in the rear are the same up front.

That's what I'm going to do. Ive only heard 2 systems comparable to mine. One was the exact same system as mine, only it was in an a Explorer. I'm really excited to see what everyone else has. Hopefully I can get some tips on mine. I'm also looking for a club to join. I think Import Faceoff will be a good start. I'm also excited to see what my numbers will be. I'll post a pic of them on here. I blew off my rear view the first day I had the system all the way up so I'm hoping they'll be good for a trunk system.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.