Do I really need an H/O alternator for 2 12" Orion hcca 2500 watt rms speakers?

I am a truck guy so I couldn't tell ya ? I would think so though but I would maybe get some different subs and start testing with port and sub directions and you will get bigger numbers . You could recone those subs for now and build another box for new subs . I like always having a system so I have back up equipment for just this type of situation //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's clean power and what exactly is clipping? I know you can wreck an amp like that, but I didn't know speakers could clip.
Clean power is when your AC voltage from the headunit (preout) matches with the input voltage on the amplifier (gain)

Music has peaks and valley's ~ a clean song will not have a square waveform which is clipping. Clipping creates heat and kills drivers.

Clipping will kills subs long before it does any damage to the amp.

I saw the refines for these, it's one of the reasons I bought them. What are custom recones? How would setting the amp with an O scope make the speakers handle an extra 1100 watts?
Custom recones are just that... custom spiders, better former, coil, and other supporting parts. Check out PSI Audio, Corey SPLAUDIO, etc. for custom recones.

Setting the amp with an Oscope would insure you have a clean signal. With a clean signal you can put significantly more power to the driver, you will reach mechanical limits before thermal with a clean signal.

Thanks man. It's my first competition. I noticed all the trunk people had their subwoofers and port facing into the cab of the car with the backseats put down. My port and subs face the taillights and the back of the sub box is pushed up against the backseats with a vertical amp rack in front of that. Basically it's hard for the SPL to go from the trunk into the cab of the car. Did this put me at a disadvantage?
You were at an advantage. You need something to unload the port, you used the rear of the trunk. Unless the guys who were facing into the cabin had them fully sealed off from the trunk and had large cone area displacement, they were at a disadvantage.

Clean power is when your AC voltage from the headunit (preout) matches with the input voltage on the amplifier (gain)Music has peaks and valley's ~ a clean song will not have a square waveform which is clipping. Clipping creates heat and kills drivers.

Clipping will kills subs long before it does any damage to the amp.

Custom recones are just that... custom spiders, better former, coil, and other supporting parts. Check out PSI Audio, Corey SPLAUDIO, etc. for custom recones.

Setting the amp with an Oscope would insure you have a clean signal. With a clean signal you can put significantly more power to the driver, you will reach mechanical limits before thermal with a clean signal.

You were at an advantage. You need something to unload the port, you used the rear of the trunk. Unless the guys who were facing into the cabin had them fully sealed off from the trunk and had large cone area displacement, they were at a disadvantage.
Thanks for he info man. I think I'm getting the hang of this. When I get the subs reconed I'll find someone to match the headunit voltage to the input amp voltage. Do most stereo shops do this? When you say mechanical limits do you mean when he speaker distorts? Also what do you mean when you say "you need something to upload the port"? I assumed having the speakers fireing into the cab of the car with the seats down worked better because there's no obsticules getting into the way of the air moving back and forth from the port and speaker, Even if the sub box isn't sealed off. If it is sealed off is that a better configuration for making the car louder? Thanks for your help.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.