How much deadener do you really need?

I've got a pickup I added a single layer to about 90% of the cab. I have a pretty loud system for my setup, and what I noticed about adding sound deadener is what you are really trying to do is keep noise out. It's not your noise you are trying to quiet down or isolate, it's the ambient noise of everything else that you are trying to block out.

My best comparison, is to go open all the windows in your house or car. Go watch TV for an hour, get used to all that noise at your "normal hearing volume", get used to it, then go close the windows. Closing them is the difference in what adding sound deadener was like. The purpose of it, is to quiet down the other noise. Watch tv from 20 feet away. Twenty feet behind that put a radio. That radio is the other vehicles on the road that you are putting sound deadener on to quiet out.

After I added mine, I started appreciating the quiet for a while, and stopped listening to my stereo all together for longer than I expected. When you add the deadener, you block out the other noise, so you can lower the volume and still hear it just as well as you did. It doesn't make anything louder, it makes everything else quieter.

Sorry to say, but the rear deck is probably the last place I would have put it. Unless you are trying to not hear what's in your trunk, then you just wasted it.

Personally the first place you should always put it is the doors. Most of the noise you hear while on the road is coming from other cars. Put the sound deadener between you and them.
The back wall/trunk is great if you have a loud exhaust/fart cannon, long tube headers, then you can also do the floor to remove road noise, such as loud tires, or depending on the roads you drive.
The roof depending on where you live might be more important to help keep out the heat. If you live in a city where there are buildings above you, large vehicles around you, the roof will do minimal to create a cocoon of noise suppression.

If we're talking percentages of areas, personally I would do the doors completely before adding on to other areas. You can always add to it slowly if you have extra and need to buy more later. If you slowly work on it, you can hear where "other noise" is coming from and work on those areas next.
Gotcha. Dude I have more than enough to do the entire car. I've done the entire trunk the rear seats the rear deck and the doors and I haven't even touched the second box yet.

You're right about the quiet too it's kind of weird but kind of cool.

Gotcha. Dude I have more than enough to do the entire car. I've done the entire trunk the rear seats the rear deck and the doors and I haven't even touched the second box yet.

You're right about the quiet too it's kind of weird but kind of cool.

If you have that much then yeah go for it.

It's incredibly nice to just have the option. I remember the first time driving after I put it on. It was late on a quiet night. I had my windows down and radio off. A tahoe pulled up next to me when I was the only one at a red light. They were windows down with their large enclosure in the back hitting decent. I put the windows up and was amazed just how much it blocked out the idiot next to me. I was a grumpy jackass nearly giggling, when I found out how I know had this new-found power to not let as many fools bother me. I still do it now. I like my radio at full blast on the highway, and off and quiet around stop lights. I definitely listen to my music less with the sound deadening.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...