Which subwoofer setup would you recommend?

• Two small subwoofers

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
    Participant count
  • Participant list

basshead03

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hey! 😁
This is my first ever project in car audio!
So, first of all which one would be more rational: one big sub or two small subs? (I'm looking for a proper subwoofer experience!)
Currently I'm thinking of getting one big subwoofer, at the moment I have chosen the Hertz SPL Show SS15D2. ( Link to the sub on amazon.com )

Specs:
  • Sub diameter: 15 inches
  • Maximum power: 2400W
  • RMS: 1200W
  • Resistance: 2+2 ohms
  • Sensitivity: 88 dB
  • Dual coil

As I'm new to setting up car audio and audio systems in general, I would really appreciate advice on what amplifier to get. The ohms and other numbers really confuse me and that is the reason I'm here. 😅
(Everybody has to start from somewhere! 😂😂)

Thank you!!

Last edited:
Hey! 😁
This is my first ever project in car audio!
So, first of all which one would be more rational: one big sub or two small subs? (I'm looking for a proper subwoofer experience!)
Currently I'm thinking of getting one big subwoofer, at the moment I have chosen the Hertz SPL Show SS15D2. ( Link to the sub on amazon.com )

Specs:
  • Sub diameter: 15 inches
  • Maximum power: 2400W
  • RMS: 1200W
  • Resistance: 2+2 ohms
  • Sensitivity: 88 dB
  • Dual coil

As I'm new to setting up car audio and audio systems in general, I would really appreciate advice on what amplifier to get. The ohms and other numbers really confuse me and that is the reason I'm here. 😅
(Everybody has to start from somewhere! 😂😂)

Thank you!!
Well if you can a 15" sub then that's good, larger speakers deliver a fuller sound. I'm running two 10"s because that's what I can fit, and 1 10" would not deliver the loudness I would like. You also have to consider the amount of enclosure space the sub needs to perform. Although, tbh HERTZ run very pricey compared to something similar that can run for much less.
Regarding the amp, you're running a dual voice coil sub, so you can run a DM1500a. The DM1500a has a rms cont. power of 1500 wattage at 1ohm.
1-DVC-2-ohm-mono-low-imp.jpg

Yes, figure out how much space you have for a box first. That is really the key to subs. I see morons with $1000 in subs and amps with a prefab box and it just makes me angry

Well if you can a 15" sub then that's good, larger speakers deliver a fuller sound. I'm running two 10"s because that's what I can fit, and 1 10" would not deliver the loudness I would like. You also have to consider the amount of enclosure space the sub needs to perform. Although, tbh HERTZ run very pricey compared to something similar that can run for much less.
Regarding the amp, you're running a dual voice coil sub, so you can run a DM1500a. The DM1500a has a rms cont. power of 1500 wattage at 1ohm.
Before you go out and start picking subs you had best figure out how much space you want to sacrifice for a box.
Yes, figure out how much space you have for a box first.

Thank you all so much for answering!
My car has lots of cargo space so there shouldn't be a problem. The recommended size of the box for this subwoofer was 60 liters and I'm going to build the box myself!

The recommended size of the box for this subwoofer was 60 liters
That's just a hair over 2 cubic feet in American-speak. Which is about adequate for a good 10" sub. Most high output 15" woofers will want closer to 5 cubic feet. This is net volume so you will need to also account for displacement of the wood you use to build the box (including bracing as needed), and displacement of the port which will also likely want to be significantly larger than most manufacturers recommend to function efficiently

Lesson 1 about subwoofer purchasing is that almost every company lies about how much space you'll need for a box. Space makes bass. See also "Hoffman's Iron Law".

Now, get back to the drawing board and figure out precisely how much space you want to sacrifice for this and we can go from there.

That's just a hair over 2 cubic feet in American-speak. Which is about adequate for a good 10" sub. Most high output 15" woofers will want closer to 5 cubic feet. This is net volume so you will need to also account for displacement of the wood you use to build the box (including bracing as needed), and displacement of the port which will also likely want to be significantly larger than most manufacturers recommend to function efficiently

Lesson 1 about subwoofer purchasing is that almost every company lies about how much space you'll need for a box. Space makes bass. See also "Hoffman's Iron Law".

Now, get back to the drawing board and figure out precisely how much space you want to sacrifice for this and we can go from there.

Thank you, I'll look into it!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...