Building my first box for 2 HDC3 12's

corrupshun

Hi, new to the forum but I've been browsing it for a while now.

Currently building a system on a budget.

I'm getting the 2 SQ HDC3 12's, either 2 SQ 2200's or 2 Hifonics brutus 2400's.

Also throwing an XS battery in there (not sure which one yet) and a HO Alternator. Starting off with a smaller amp until I have the extra money to buy everything.

Right now I'm sitting on a 01 Malibu with some fold-down seats and I'm looking to either build the box inside the trunk or push it through a backdoor if possible. Tuning the box is really what I'm confused about.

I decided to make the box 5 cubes after sub and port displacement and tune it to 34hz with 16 sq inch port per cube. My old 9518 knocked my old window out of place and i miss it. For that, I just bought a box. In the past I've built a sealed box for some type r's and bought a pre-fab box for the sundown sa12.

I have all the tools to build a box however the programs I've been trying to use seem to be useless for giving me the box design after I enter all the parameters.

Additionally, the space I'm working with in my trunk is 17" H, 35" W, and 29" L.

Now I'm wondering if I should use an aeroport or a slot port. I'd like to do an aeroport (But not dead set on it).. But I'm also not sure how to brace the inside of the box. I also cannot figure out what size or length i would need of tubing, I've read up on flares (which seem to be imperative).

Another aspect of the design I was curious about is whether I should face the subs and port towards the trunk or the cabin. I was planning on having them face the cabin and maybe seal off the trunk. But again, it's not something I very knowledgeable about but I'd be very interested if it made those subs slap!

Thank you all.

Hi, new to the forum but I've been browsing it for a while now.Currently building a system on a budget.

I'm getting the 2 SQ HDC3 12's, either 2 SQ 2200's or 2 Hifonics brutus 2400's.

Also throwing an XS battery in there (not sure which one yet) and a HO Alternator. Starting off with a smaller amp until I have the extra money to buy everything.

Right now I'm sitting on a 01 Malibu with some fold-down seats and I'm looking to either build the box inside the trunk or push it through a backdoor if possible. Tuning the box is really what I'm confused about.

I decided to make the box 5 cubes after sub and port displacement and tune it to 34hz with 16 sq inch port per cube. My old 9518 knocked my old window out of place and i miss it. For that, I just bought a box. In the past I've built a sealed box for some type r's and bought a pre-fab box for the sundown sa12.

I have all the tools to build a box however the programs I've been trying to use seem to be useless for giving me the box design after I enter all the parameters.

Additionally, the space I'm working with in my trunk is 17" H, 35" W, and 29" L.

Now I'm wondering if I should use an aeroport or a slot port. I'd like to do an aeroport (But not dead set on it).. But I'm also not sure how to brace the inside of the box. I also cannot figure out what size or length i would need of tubing, I've read up on flares (which seem to be imperative).

Another aspect of the design I was curious about is whether I should face the subs and port towards the trunk or the cabin. I was planning on having them face the cabin and maybe seal off the trunk. But again, it's not something I very knowledgeable about but I'd be very interested if it made those subs slap!

Thank you all.
I would run aero or possibly octo. I can help you out. Pm me.

You'll be hard pressed to get a round port with that much port area to fit if you're set on 34hz tuning. Move it up to 38-42hz tuning and you can probably do it with an 10" round. I really can't fathom why people still insist on tuning these so much lower than they're designed for.

You'll be hard pressed to get a round port with that much port area to fit if you're set on 34hz tuning. Move it up to 38-42hz tuning and you can probably do it with an 10" round. I really can't fathom why people still insist on tuning these so much lower than they're designed for.
what about if u have a really big box and u have 6 4inch pcv pipes tuned to 28 hertz. do you think it would slam

17.5 cctf tuned to 28 herts with 6 4inch pvc pipes for ports

Acutally I felt the same until I read this: HDC3 & HDC4 Optimum Enclosure Size - Subwoofers / Enclosures - SMD Forum10" Port? That's huge ****. I was trying to get a couple 6's but don't know enough about it yet.

And CSCStang, you've been pm'ed.
First of all he isn't Soundqubed and if you scroll down he is getting only 15-20hz worth of useful bandwidth with those low tunings. That's not musical and if it's rolling off at 50hz and up it's not even going to be loud for burps. Suit yourself though.

17.5 cctf tuned to 28 herts with 6 4inch pvc pipes for ports
OP has a Malibu so how's he fitting a 17 cube box? You will hit a limit with subs where increasing box volume doesn't gain much. My guess is that a 12" HDC3, DD95 or similar will gain nicely up to about 4.5-5 cube then you'll get diminishing returns for larger and larger boxes, at that point you should be moving up to a 15".

With that kind of space available, I would do two HDC3 15s instead, or three 12s. With a pair of 6" aeros you should be able to squeeze out around 7 cubes net.

Was talking to that fool that recommended the 17 cube enclosure lmao.
dude uve been on this site talking all ur bs and switching people words around for a while now, i mean dude ur on this site 24/7 and no bro i ( didnt request ) a box tuned to 28 hertz and being 17.5 cubs. guess what shart boy i already did it and its in the history book as one of the best boxes i ever made, i just like asking you online people about things ive already done to see if u guys are right or wrong and most of the time most people on this site are wrong..... another funny thing is YOU ARE ON EVERY PERSONS POST... how do you have so much time online but yet again (( the car audio king)) after subs after port area. the box was 17.5 cft tuned to 28 htz with 6 4 inch arrow ports.. guess what it sounded great and anything from 30-50 was stupid loud for how much power i had.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.