Big Dave + 8 IXL-12's = :drool:

Pretty good BS line eh? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

I knew I would be called on it eventually..

THANKS for the kind words! This HAS bin more labour intensive than I intended. One thing led to another, then, hmmm, what IF I change this, and ..blahblahblah, 5 months later! Arrrggg No friends came to help, so while I'm sanding, nothing else gets done!

The door pods, DVD trims, tweeter pods & dash are now painted! Gotta say, it looks sweet! I do all my own work- to keep the costs down, and was sketchy of the enviornment in my garage- if I could contain the dust and control the overspray- (using car paints for the fiberglass), and they turned out great! (if I must say so myself, lol).

MACH 5 AUDIO has the pics- he uploads the progress. They'll be posted asap. Just trying to get the sub box ready for paint. The angles I have on these parts, are so erratic and accute, vinyl wouldnt work, ( a preferred medium to carpet for me), and would have required MUCH less prep work! But- I figered this is gonna show off the SUBS, so why not 'giver'!

The color I wanted in Basecoat/Clearcoat was $600 a gallon for color (NOT) and $200 for a litre of Clear (NOT), so I opted for the single stage Acrylic/Enamel with a 'Wetlook' hardner. Worked great. Skimmed in 1/2 hour so no more dust would stick. Easy to apply (with a car paint gun- $18.88 on sale at Princess Auto Farm Equip Surplus Store, or Walmart- Campbell Hausfield spray gun and 60 gal compressor). Pretty much just tools & equip one might have for hobbies, ie: auto or 4x4 builds, etc. LABOUR is the key. Anyone can do anything, if they give themselves enuf time and WANT to get involved! Shops would take ur First born to cover the hours involved for these kinda builds, so DIY is the only way to go.

I showed the 'how to' pics, so all who are interested in spending some of their time, could get an idea of what goes into this one and perhaps they might get inspired to try some things themselves? MY WAYS arent the only ways to achieve a desired result, but they work for ME and there's lots of different ways to get the end result.

I found some great vids on YOUTUBE on fiberglassing, and box building etc. 20 years ago, we used GrillCloth to Wrap cuz it stretched good and 'glass mat just turns to snot when the binders 'whet', so we thot- hmmm, what else could we use that would impregnate with resin?? THEN someone thot of using FLEECE cuz its thicker. I saw a vid using 100% Polyester- guy says its 1/4 inch thick! I havent found that meterial yet- but that would remedy the need for multiple layers AFTER the fleece wrap- cuz fleece is still not that thick.

Luck to all and keep building!

intense, subscribed, best **** i have ever seen, you could probably make some dayum good money if you wanted to legitimately pursue this as a profession. awesomeness at its highest level sir.

intense, subscribed, best **** i have ever seen, you could probably make some dayum good money if you wanted to legitimately pursue this as a profession. awesomeness at its highest level sir.

The irony is he did have his own shop at one time but got out of it.

So Dave did some painting at home - it turned out *really* well! Interesting choice of colour too //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

paint1.jpg

paint2.jpg

paint3.jpg

paint4.jpg

paint5.jpg

paint6.jpg

paint7.jpg

paint8.jpg

well i hate to repeat what everyone else said,but WOW!!incredible work!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.