and it begins... my tweeter pillar pod project

most certainly looks better than it did before, and best of all your happy with the sound of it, the cosmetics can always be worked on.
I have been working a lot lately on tweeter placement in my truck so I will probably take some cues from your install here. Gonna have to raise them up to ear level to help out. I have heard they are better on axis and it seems to be the case but my ear still needs training. If I am not mistaken they are Vifa XT-25 or similar tweeters, the ones in the Polk SR6500 component set.

Did you ever have them installed in the pillars firing directly at each other? I know you had them in the kicks but not sure if you experimented with them up in the pillars in this configuration.

Also curious if you had ever tried them firing on axis at the opposing seat? I know this wouldn't work for a 2 seat car but thinking it might be a bit more cosmetically pleasing and may achieve a good 2 seat car.

Either way your progress looks good, the pillars certainly look nice with the suede on them, some fiberglass and smoothing out the shape and you would most likely be golden.
first of all thanks for the kind words. i appreciate it. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

i tried them in the kicks on-axis and liked the sound, other than the lack of stage height it presented. most music at higher volumes the stage height would seem high enough but at lower volumes they sounded like they were in the kicks.

i tried them at numerous angles on the pillars, using velcro and found on-axis to sound the best to me with these particular tweeters. any other way and the left side just lacked top end and the right side had to much top end. putting them on-axis really brought out the top end detail which i really like. i like the shimmer up top. i have the left tweeter at -2db(since it seemed louder because its closer) and the right one at 0. i have zero EQ on the tweeters as of now, other than a very small cut on the left side at 5k(to get them to sound centered).

first of all thanks for the kind words. i appreciate it. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
i tried them in the kicks on-axis and liked the sound, other than the lack of stage height it presented. most music at higher volumes the stage height would seem high enough but at lower volumes they sounded like they were in the kicks.

i tried them at numerous angles on the pillars, using velcro and found on-axis to sound the best to me with these particular tweeters. any other way and the left side just lacked top end and the right side had to much top end. putting them on-axis really brought out the top end detail which i really like. i like the shimmer up top. i have the left tweeter at -2db(since it seemed louder because its closer) and the right one at 0. i have zero EQ on the tweeters as of now, other than a very small cut on the left side at 5k(to get them to sound centered).
Cool, thanks. Sounds similar to what I was experiencing with my moving around. I had a tip from BigRed over on Diyma to put mine in the a-pillars firing across at each other. I did this and it seemed to balance the sides out to where I could keep everything equal and have a nice center. I am not 100% sure on the brightness though. I have my tweeters back to on axis in the sail panels and it seems to have more detail, guess I will have to go back to the drawing board.

What tweeter do you think you will be stepping up to next?

Cool, thanks. Sounds similar to what I was experiencing with my moving around. I had a tip from BigRed over on Diyma to put mine in the a-pillars firing across at each other. I did this and it seemed to balance the sides out to where I could keep everything equal and have a nice center. I am not 100% sure on the brightness though. I have my tweeters back to on axis in the sail panels and it seems to have more detail, guess I will have to go back to the drawing board.
What tweeter do you think you will be stepping up to next?
i was considering a pair of the seas neo's with the aluminum dome. i am going to stick with the RSD tweets for a lil bit though.

right now i am purchasing stuff to set up a computer based RTA measuring system. i just got the Behringer ECM8000 mic ($50) and just ordered the Mic Mate microphone preamp and USB interface($50). i will be purchasing the TrueRTA software probably tomorrow. so i should have the whole thing setup and ready to use wednesday night.

so getting new tweeters will be a little ways away for me, but i am fine with the tweets i have at the moment.

I'm currently running the sr6500 and I think the tweeter needs to stay on axis. I've tried the sails, corner of dash/windshield all on axis and a short time in the a pillars off axis.

The best location I've found is actually just under my dash right above the mid on axis. The stage height has not suffered and everything improved. Imaging and tonality improved the most.

Corner of the dash was probably the worst because the stage width of the tweeters and mid was different. Plus there was a peak around 5k that was horrible.

its not too bad, but i would have also looked in to like aftermarket gauge pods and seen if they would have worked. But maybe if you get it smoothed in and finished it won't look like its hanging out there so much. But hey atleast you went out and did it which is all that matters and how it sounds is the most important aspect of it too.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.