Move component tweeter higher location help.

silicondt

CarAudio.com Newbie
So my son bought a 2006 chevy silverado. We upgraded the head unit to a XAVAX1000 because he wanted carplay. I was thinking the speakers were stock.

We planned on getting some component speakers one day with maybe an amp/sub etc..

We noticed one of the tweeters behind the grill looked like it was flopping and it was rattling over bumps. So I took the door off and to my surprise it already has component speaker in it.

They are boston S60. https://www.crutchfield.com/S-rPmJawn7nfx/p_065S60/Boston-Acoustics-S60.html

Question 1: They are 4ohm and 92 sensitivity.. They seem to work OK with the head unit we have.. do they really need an amp? Would putting an amp on them make them sound clearer at high volumes?

Question 2: We would like to relocate the tweeter higher. I have included a video on two spots we can move them to. Either the little plastic triangles on the door itself. Or the A-pillars, but they are angled towards the front window. Which spot would be better?

- Video of my situation.

Thanks!

There is no amp with this setup, it is currently ran from the head unit. I'm not sure what you mean. The factory speaker/tweeter was replaced with aftermarket component by previous owner. I just want to move the tweeter higher and off the bottom of the door.

There is no amp with this setup, it is currently ran from the head unit. I'm not sure what you mean. The factory speaker/tweeter was replaced with aftermarket component by previous owner. I just want to move the tweeter higher and off the bottom of the door.
Ignore the response of that guy/Bot or??

If you can mount those in that triangle area that's a great spot. I'm sure you've seen the factory BOSE A-pillars where they had the tweeter mounted in the pillar which makes install incredibly easy and clean. You might be able to find em at a pick n pull yard, (but they go quick, and fools always break em), or on ebay. Some have complained about those having the signal bouncing off the windshield. How would you get those to mount on the triangle? As long as the dash and pillar don't interfere when closed. You might also be blocking the speaker. Getting em in the triangle to fit and sound good is going to be tough, and getting em in the pillar is already done.

If you can rewire them, and get the crossovers out of the door, they should never go in there if you can avoid it. The doors are still exposed to the elements, and the crossovers have exposed connections.

They are up to 55w RMS, and my guess is your head unit is 50w MAX and 22w RMS. That oversized plastic body on speakers, always screams to me, that they are trying to make them look better than they are, because the sound isn't good enough. I wouldn't expect an amp to improve sound quality on those. They just look like real budget speakers. Not sure how bad they are, but might already be damaged. The most you would do with an amp is dial it down to 50w RMS and you might get a decibel or two more out at full volume. I just don't think it's worth it. IMO, I would only get an amp that was 100w-150w if I had it or got a smokin deal, then dialed it down, and I would only do that knowing I was going to replace these anyways. It just looks like the setup is cheap speakers playing almost underpowered.

I would guess your head unit is 50w max/22w RMS. If so, you would either find 30w RMS components for a $100-$200 and live with low volumes, or get an amp and components that will do it right. I think you got your hopes up, that you could save money, and I think you can't.

So my son bought a 2006 chevy silverado. We upgraded the head unit to a XAVAX1000 because he wanted carplay. I was thinking the speakers were stock.

We planned on getting some component speakers one day with maybe an amp/sub etc..

We noticed one of the tweeters behind the grill looked like it was flopping and it was rattling over bumps. So I took the door off and to my surprise it already has component speaker in it.

They are boston S60. https://www.crutchfield.com/S-rPmJawn7nfx/p_065S60/Boston-Acoustics-S60.html

Question 1: They are 4ohm and 92 sensitivity.. They seem to work OK with the head unit we have.. do they really need an amp? Would putting an amp on them make them sound clearer at high volumes?

Question 2: We would like to relocate the tweeter higher. I have included a video on two spots we can move them to. Either the little plastic triangles on the door itself. Or the A-pillars, but they are angled towards the front window. Which spot would be better?

- Video of my situation.

Thanks!

#1-First of all... is that an Xcab or Single cab truck? or double cab?
#2- Are you still planning to run a sub or a pair of subs?
#3- What is your Budget for the audio System?
I ask about if running a sub or subs due to trying to keep the front stage up with the sub stage. Bostons are nice (not the Pro Series more entry level type series), but even with an amplifier, they may get drowned out but sub stage as the ones you have are only rated for 55rms. Tweeters do very well in A-pillar

#1-First of all... is that an Xcab or Single cab truck? or double cab?
#2- Are you still planning to run a sub or a pair of subs?
#3- What is your Budget for the audio System?
I ask about if running a sub or subs due to trying to keep the front stage up with the sub stage. Bostons are nice (not the Pro Series more entry level type series), but even with an amplifier, they may get drowned out but sub stage as the ones you have are only rated for 55rms. Tweeters do very well in A-pillar
It is an extended cam with the suicide doors. 6x9 speakers in back I belive.

We want to put a sub in it one day, just can't afford it right now. Just trying to do what we can now to improve things.
We are looking at a sub enclosure that goes under the seats in the back or a custom center console. No idea yet though. Any suggestions on that?

We don't really have a huge budget at the moment - but probably have around $500 to throw at it right now. Should I replace these components with better ones maybe? Add and amp that could power them and a future sub? Not really concerned with amping the back speakers. I can leave those on my head unit. Would I need to mount the amp behind the back seat? Or is there a compact one that will do this I can put under dash?

So around $500 - looking to get an amp that would power front components and future sub. And willing to replace these components if they aren't that great.

I would place those speakers on OLS SCHOOL STEREO FOR SALE F.Book page and sale them to a Collector for $100-$150 bucks plus shipping , and use the funds to go towards the purchase of a new set of components that will handle 100-150 RMS and place them on an amplifier, and run a single 10" 600rms-1k sub

I would place those speakers on OLS SCHOOL STEREO FOR SALE F.Book page and sale them to a Collector for $100-$150 bucks plus shipping , and use the funds to go towards the purchase of a new set of components that will handle 100-150 RMS and place them on an amplifier, and run a single 10" 600rms-1k sub
They are that bad/old eh? lol I have no idea when those were installed. I don't think they were even $100 new from looking them up. Do you have a recommendation for new component speakers?

Last edited:
Unless you can build a center console yourself, they want a lot for those. If you can keep an eye on craigslist or the yards, you can almost always find one of the under seat enclosures. If on Clist, you might even be able to find a package deal with subs and an amp, possibly even the wiring, (I would ask if it's available if you get that close). Possibly even for trade. I would personally spend what budget I have on the rest of the system, and add subwoofers down the road.

It is an extended cam with the suicide doors. 6x9 speakers in back I belive.

We want to put a sub in it one day, just can't afford it right now. Just trying to do what we can now to improve things.
We are looking at a sub enclosure that goes under the seats in the back or a custom center console. No idea yet though. Any suggestions on that?

We don't really have a huge budget at the moment - but probably have around $500 to throw at it right now. Should I replace these components with better ones maybe? Add and amp that could power them and a future sub? Not really concerned with amping the back speakers. I can leave those on my head unit. Would I need to mount the amp behind the back seat? Or is there a compact one that will do this I can put under dash?

So around $500 - looking to get an amp that would power front components and future sub. And willing to replace these components if they aren't that great.
I would change those components.I installed a small system in my neighbors 07 xcab Chevrolet a couple years ago. It still sounds pretty badd azz. He blew one set of tweets and put another set in about a yr ago

Any suggestion on brand component to get? Or amp?

For the front doors speaker installation. These can be found on Ebay pretty cheap. i would locate the Xscorpian ones

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...