2014 Focus ST build Sundown SD 8s

UMWDawg92
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Missoula, MT
So I picked up my new ride in October and it came with the sony premium audio which was weak as hell so I decided to upgrade. I figured I'd start with the substage as the factory speakers aren't that awful.

I want to do this as more of an SQ build than anything. I have been intrigued by the Sundown SD8s for awhile and saw an opportunity to use them.

Equipment list:

Sundown SD8 d4s x3

Sundown Saz-1200d@.66ohms

All wiring is Knukonceptz

Knukonceptz kolussus 100mil sound deadener

Old school rockford Fosgate punch 250a2 and some PHD passive crossovers

Audiocontrol lc7i

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a 2003 Focus SE. I beat that little car senseless. Finally puked in LA while I was on an inspection job. 295,000 miles. Good little cars.

Are you guys familiar with the ST's at all? I love it so far, small hatchback with a lot of power. I've already done intake, 3 inch turbo back exhaust, intercooler, intake runner/plenum spacer and a custom tune. I need to dyno it but I should be at ~270-285 HP at the wheels and about 350-370 torque. This summer will likely bring some more go fast mods and my front stage upgrades.

I really hope Jacob gets the Sundown Xbl2 comp set he's been working on going then I would do an all sundown SQ build. It doesn't look like my pics are working so I'll fix that.

The SD 8's are going to be about 1.25-1.5 cubes sealed for the 3. Its a little on the large side but will let them dig a little deeper and they will fit a little better with the extra depth. I'm going to fiberglass the enclosure to fit over the passenger side wheel well. The hatch after the first layer of glass was laid down.

I got the speaker rings cut. I ran out of 3/4 inch mdf so I used some 3/4 hardwood plywood to finish it off. I decided to flush mount on these as I think it will look better.

I got it all wrapped up in fleece and soaked with resin. I decided to deaden the hatch door while it dried. Then afterwards I did a test fit.

---------- Post added at 10:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 PM ----------

I got the box wrapped up in carpet and installed. I should have taken more pics of install, but I'll update a lot more this summer when I do my front stage and electrical upgrades. The outer door skins are deadened and I wired in a set of PHD crossovers on the factory comps. They are being ran off of an old school rockford fosgate punch 250a2 getting about 50 per side. They sound quite nice considering they are the factory set.

I am thinking about doing a full sq build in this car. It's my daily driver right now so I need to keep the space in the hatch. Otherwise it may have been 6 sd8s off of a saz2500 or sa8s. I have to say though I'm impressed with the SD8s for their performance in small sealed, good output, they get low, and best of all they are extremely clean sounding.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.