12" sub recommendation

Participant count
  • Participant list
I have an Infinity Kappa 120.9w rn and I paid less than $150 for it. It'll do fine with 300w in a ported box most likely, but I'd upgrade to a little more if you can. Sound quality on these is really good and they can get loud and low. Really can't get a better 12 for the price.

I have an Infinity Kappa 120.9w rn and I paid less than $150 for it. It'll do fine with 300w in a ported box most likely, but I'd upgrade to a little more if you can. Sound quality on these is really good and they can get loud and low. Really can't get a better 12 for the price.
Beg to differ. Theres others that can knock it out of the park build quality and overall output capabilities wise while maintaining great sq as well for the 150 range.

However in his small premade box and low power, the choices are limited. The dayton audio sub would be his best bet since they thrive on smaller enclosures.

Beg to differ. Theres others that can knock it out of the park build quality and overall output capabilities wise while maintaining great sq as well.
But I think for under $150 new you really can't go wrong. And with only 300w and the box he currently he has this is prob the best fit tbh. Plays down to 24 Hz and has 92 DB sensitivity. If you want to spend 200+ yes, there are definitely better options.

Talking about the 150 range. 200 range would require more power. Plenty that play clean to 20hz as well. You just need to try out a lot of subs and youll see theres a lot more crazy stuff out there for the money. The infinity kappa sub did not really impress, it was in a sealed box in a shop owner's bmw on a jl 750.1. Sounded decent but could get a lot better.

Talking about the 150 range. 200 range would require more power. Plenty that play clean to 20hz as well. You just need to try out a lot of subs and youll see theres a lot more crazy stuff out there for the money. The infinity kappa sub did not really impress, it was in a sealed box in a shop owner's bmw on a jl 750.1. Sounded decent but could get a lot better.
If the trunk was all sealed up then it probably didn't sound the swiftest lol. Amp also makes a fair difference as I have just learned switching to a Kenwood Excelon sounds alot better. Judging by my selection of components you can tell I'm not the most informed or richest here (At least I don't think the W7 is the greatest sub out there like some people like me think). I'm happy with it, but hey you should def throw out some names of $150 range subs that'll out perform it with 300W at 4 ohms. Not trying to be sarcastic, but I'd love to look into them as well

Thanks for the suggestions guys. My buddy actually has 2 of the 10" Dayton HO's and I'm very impressed with them. My concern is that I'm reading that the 12" needs at least 500wrms to get going so it looks like I'd need to go for a single 10" and I'm wondering then if my 300wrms is going to push it enough. Thoughts?

300 watts is going to be 300 watts. 300 watts on a 12 is going to be 300 watts on a 12. Unless you are willing to make a highly efficient box, there is going to be negligible difference between any sub on 300 watts. What is entirely more important is the box and how the sub will perform in it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.