'05 Avalance RD/AQ Build

Bobby322
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
TX
- '05 Avalanche

- (2) RD Alpha Max 15s with HW softparts

- (1) Audioque 2200d

- Box is a blowthough, thorough the midgate. Tuned to 32hz, 45s in corners, and resined. It's being build by a local world record holder box builder //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

- All KNU wiring. 30ft of the new KCA wire.

- Sprinter 134ah battery

Later on he'll probably get another AQ2200 and strap 'em. Should be loud! Everything is basically in the mail, so more pics as it happens.

photo.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

3.jpg

2-1.jpg

1-1.jpg

3-1.jpg

May be adding a double baffle later on. There is about a 2'' gap from the top of the box, will expanding foam work for that?

Thats going to be a bitch to seal. The box in my Avalanche is 49.75" wide by 21.5" tall and after the first foaming it still leaked like crazy. I have about 1/8-1/4" gap all the way around and it took me 4 cans of foam to seal it completely. Good luck with that one.

Heres a link to my build thread. Its long and continuous. Has about 5-6 different builds Ive done in it. Might give you some ideas.

Avalanche Rebuild - FloridaSPL

Yeah the guy doesn't ever do double baffles on his boxes, dunno why. As long as its not flexing it's fine.

We'll just add some trim panels with expanding foam probably.

Thats going to be a bitch to seal. The box in my Avalanche is 49.75" wide by 21.5" tall and after the first foaming it still leaked like crazy. I have about 1/8-1/4" gap all the way around and it took me 4 cans of foam to seal it completely. Good luck with that one.
Heres a link to my build thread. Its long and continuous. Has about 5-6 different builds Ive done in it. Might give you some ideas.

Avalanche Rebuild - FloridaSPL
Lol well your box was literally 3 times bigger, but still. The box looks to be a pretty tight fit other than the top part. But my friend is a total noob to this stuff so maybe its user error haha! Ill go look at the box in person later today or tomorrow.

My 2 18 box was 49" wide. My new single 15 bandpass box is 49.75" wide. Both came out to be 21.5" tall.
Could you tell a difference to the ear with just a slight leak? Or were you just chasing numbers?

A slight leak isnt an option because water will come pouring in.

This is my first blowthrough, 2 18s in a 4th order. Was 49 x 21.5. You can see the amount of foam I used to seal it. This is when I was taking it back out. Had to saw through the foam with a handsaw. The really white stuff over the foam is actually some silicone. I went over the foam with a ton of silicone to help make sure it was sealed well. Then I glassed over it on the outside. It was sealed great.

jhyqgn.jpg

20hvses.jpg

345g1fp.jpg

This is the one I have now... Single 15. Box is .75" wider. This was the first can of foam. Went back and used another 3 cans to finally seal it. Still think I might go back and put some resin where the foam meets the truck to really seal it like my 2 18 box was.

16m2c7q.jpg

i would build a rectangle piece out of angle iron to screw/bolt in the truck, sealing the outside of the frame with thick beads of silicone.

then i would slide the box into it with a big bead of silicone inbetween the two. and screw/bolt the box to the metal frame, then bolt the box to the bed of the truck.

They didnt quite built it to fit right. might take it back and have them fix that.

will it leak without the midgate? cuz water has never run in with my covers on.

so im guessing if the midgate door isnt on there, itll leak thru there?

Mine always leaked. But ever since I put my 2 18 box in I had to take the handles off the underside of the bed covers to fit the box... Now it pours rain in there.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.