You're opinions matter

Bryan3710

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hello, I'm currently looking to replace my DB wdx g2 12's for something better. my question is I've got a budget of 300 for each sub I've norrowed it down to ab xfl or skar vxf. now is there any better options I'm missing here that are in stock and in my budget? Going for spl also.

Hello, I'm currently looking to replace my DB wdx g2 12's for something better. my question is I've got a budget of 300 for each sub I've norrowed it down to ab xfl or skar vxf. now is there any better options I'm missing here that are in stock and in my budget? Going for spl also.

The AB HD line is in your budget.

Oh yeah... put some HD 12's on this...

yzf5sW.jpg

Op... your amp sux... sorry

PPI had some good amps in the day but that one...idk about. Have to agree with Shredder2 on that one. Max on that is 2500watts @ 1 ohm with a burp of possible 5,000.

Yeah ever since PPI got sold their amps went to sh*t. Most of their amps don't even make what they advertised since then, some don't come close. PPI used to be a top tier amp, not anymore. Glad mine was before they got sold and actually makes what they advertised for it.

Also..with regarding the sub Skar here...You will see quite a few say Skarbage, never used them myself but have seen enough pictures over the years of damage products coming from factory.

Idk about their amps though as they seem to be the same boards as Sundowns, Cresendos and a couple others but might be wrong. Just going off what I have seen on Willistons youtube.

PPI had some good amps in the day but that one...idk about. Have to agree with Shredder2 on that one. Max on that is 2500watts @ 1 ohm with a burp of possible 5,000.

Yeah ever since PPI got sold their amps went to sh*t. Most of their amps don't even make what they advertised since then, some don't come close. PPI used to be a top tier amp, not anymore. Glad mine was before they got sold and actually makes what they advertised for it.

Also..with regarding the sub Skar here...You will see quite a few say Skarbage, never used them myself but have seen enough pictures over the years of damage products coming from factory.

Idk about their amps though as they seem to be the same boards as Sundowns, Cresendos and a couple others but might be wrong. Just going off what I have seen on Willistons youtube.
Agreed about PPI. With Skar I've always felt they're about the same quality as lower tier Kicker products. They're not known to over perform but the price is pretty good (relative to Kicker). What conclusion did Williston make about them?

his current ppi amp is lucky to even to do 1250 rms on a good day. 120 amp fuse btw.

You'll definitely want to keep your current subs and get rid of your amp and get something like a taramps smart 3k ..... or a taramps md8000/md5000 with electrical upgrades if you want to go balls to the wall. But the smart 3k will absolutely destroy your current amp, sorry if we sound harsh but that ppi amp is pure junk. Also if you are using any LOC from factory head unit, thats also gonna be a major issue for weak performing bass. Then you'll want to address the custom ported box build, then you can think about switching subs.

So order of importance, first being having the biggest effect on SPL gains in your system is.
Signal (no LOC + stock head unit garbage signal) > New Box if you are currently using a prefab or sealed > new amp+electrical upgrades(they come hand in hand) > new subs

Notice how sub upgrades is the lowest tier of importance because it makes That little of a difference.

To answer your thread question tho, If SPL is the goal, soundqubed HDX3 is a good candidate over the XFL. The XFL is more of a daily ground pounder, the soundqubeds have more spl capability at the expense of some sound quality and some badwidth. But to be honest, you'll have marginal increases over your current subs at best. Major diminishing returns on investment. if you are going to upgrade, save up and do a legit upgrade to big boy 4 inch coil 2000-4000 rms monsters on a 10k, You'll save yourself time, disappointment and money from having to sell your old equipment at depreciated values and buy new ones.

I just finished a design for what are exactly identical to your subs Op. After modeling em up I feel your Wdx aren't all that bad anyway. I mean hell... I recommended a legit 3-3.5k for an upgrade to the guy it's for. Anything that can use a box like this isn't half bad imo.
j6743p.jpg

Agreed about PPI. With Skar I've always felt they're about the same quality as lower tier Kicker products. They're not known to over perform but the price is pretty good (relative to Kicker). What conclusion did Williston make about them?

He has put Skar a few times on the Dyno and even the RP 2000.1 came up to specs. Links below for the budget stuff he did.

The conclusion of the 3-3.5K amps he tested

Skar RP 2000.1D dyno

I know I was gonna catch hell for that of mentioning using the ppi amp I actually bought that amp outta Curiosity from the reviews I've read on it. I've got a DB wdx 3k sitting in the house because the ppi was clearly well atleast to me sounded better then the db. I can't find any dyno vids of either amp. Either way the amp Situation is temporary that’s an easy fix I’m just looking for something to replace my db's as an upgrade and everything else will follow.
The ab xlf seem preety good but of kind want something different..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.