What subs hit harder then jlw3 for under $100?

Ill put bass boost to 1/4 up when i get a bigger enclosure . All this “set gain right” talk must be for the online community only, or if you using a crazy overly powered amp with low rms sub. These guys who Be bumping at lower watts subs and amps cant have bass boost off and gain on correct. Everyone says dont use bass boost but they wouldn't have an option for it if you not suppose to use it

Last edited:
No.

Is that Alpine 2v or 4v max?

Turn the gain all the way down. Turn sub control to 12, 13-15 will be for wiggle room in case you need adjustability later on.
Turn deck to volume 32. Play music, turn highs off so you can focus on just the sub. Turn the gain up until sub sounds weird then back down until clean again. The gain shouldn't be more than 1/3 up with a 4v deck.

No.

Is that Alpine 2v or 4v max?

Turn the gain all the way down. Turn sub control to 12, 13-15 will be for wiggle room in case you need adjustability later on.
Turn deck to volume 32. Play music, turn highs off so you can focus on just the sub. Turn the gain up until sub sounds weird then back down until clean again. The gain shouldn't be more than 1/3 up with a 4v deck.
Crutchfield says its “ preamp outputs (2-volt front, rear, and sub). I downloaded the 50hz test tone and did what you said At volume 30 and subwoofer output on max. And it started playing that plastic-y sound and changing tones so i backed off and set it thre.

Once you get your signal chain set, from the brief look at that enclosure I got... lol... I'm pretty sure the airspace and port area/tuning can be improved upon.
A enclosure around 2ft3 tuned low 30's with proper port area ought to be a little larger imo.
Something along these lines should make a pretty big difference...
7ahKoS.jpg

Once you get your signal chain set, from the brief look at that enclosure I got... lol... I'm pretty sure the airspace and port area/tuning can be improved upon.
A enclosure around 2ft3 tuned low 30's with proper port area ought to be a little larger imo.
Something along these lines should make a pretty big difference...
7ahKoS.jpg
Thanks Ill look for one online.
Its crazy i checked all bestbuys in the area snd none dont have the long boxes like That

To get full voltage out of your headunit you need to have volume up 75% or more.. lucky number is usually 1-2 notches back from max volume so if max is 35 then 33-34..

Now when using a voltage meter while playing a test tone set the prongs on the speaker output at the amp and use the normal formula of Voltage = square root of watts x ohms, that will be the main set point.

From there you can add a bit more gain by ear till sub starts to clip since amps dynamicly on music can produce a bit more than rated.

Gonna be one of those threads where the OP doesn't listen to us or take our suggestions. Some of us have some pretty loud systems so I'm pretty sure we know what we're doing/talking about.

While I'm at it the don't buy a prefab box from b&m stores build one or have someone build one for ya if your not handy with tools or if you don't have any tools to build a box has already been in discussion yet here you are BB doesn't have the box shredder posted.

Ok here it is...you probably have to put earphones to hear it. I played a bass heavy trap song. Nevermind the car radio dashboard loose i kept it like that because i might switch headunit out this weekend

Subs:Jlw3-12
Headunit playing at lever 23 out of 35
Amp: Power Acoustik 2500watt amp (rms acutally 600watts on dynos)
Gain: on half
Sub wired to 2 omhs
Bass boost: none
Sonic filter:all the way down
No LOC
Lpf on hu: 80hz
4 gage wiring kit

I mean the sub sounds good and deep when it want but not loud. It does slightly shakes the rearview at times once volume get to 21

so a few things that needs fixing here. Your settings, I said 90% volume on the head unit. you are at 65% volume means there's no signal going to the subs or amps. Also you use your hardest hitting song to tune, not a test tone. Also your sub placement is bad. Move it a lot closer to the trunk lid. where its at currently is literally killing your bass output due to cancellation. if going 90% on the head unit is making your mids and highs unbearable, go to the EQ and lower everything but the bass frequencies at 90% volume.

Now for the paid solutions. Your box is trash no wonder you arent getting anything out of it. You need a box literally double that size, the port needs to be double that size as well. Its CHOKING the sub to death. you are literally getting at best 20% of the sub's capabilities right now.

STOP!

1. The head unit IS the problem first and foremost. 2v RCA's isn't going to cut it and as Jeffdachef said, you are at like 60% volume... you might be lucky to be getting a hair over 1v out of your RCA's.

2v HU - 650wrms amp - Sub @2ohms <--- This is what you are doing...

To get 650w rms out of that amp @2ohms it will need to output at the terminals 36v. If the gain on the amp goes theoretically from 1 - 10, 10 being the max gain undistorted, your amp would need to be at 18 to hit 36v @ 2ohms at the speaker terminals with 2v of input on the amp at the RCA inputs. If your head unit volume is at 25 of 30 something, you're not even close to the 2v the head unit has to send. Let us say you are lucky to be sending 1.3v to the amp. Your amp gain would have to be at like 27!!

If you have a head unit with 4vrms RCA outs then your gain on that amp will only need to be at 9 with the 2 ohm sub. If it was a 1ohm load the gain on the amp would only need to see just over 6. I am going to guess that they way you have it set up with your head unit volume at like 25 that if the gain is set correctly you may be getting 150ish watts on a sign wave to that sub at 2 ohms and I am willing to bet around 90 - 100w on music. Does this make sense why it isn't loud? Get a head unit with 4v RCA outs and start over. Toss that 2v head unit in the river... ok not the river, just the trash.

^^Thanks fixing those problems today. I did set gain at 90% (level 30 out of 35) just didnt turn it to %90 in video. But yea im getting a 4volt headunit today and looking into another box

^^Thanks fixing those problems today. I did set gain at 90% (level 30 out of 35) just didnt turn it to %90 in video. But yea im getting a 4volt headunit today and looking into another box
Just my opinion:

The head unit is 60% the problem - fix this with 4v and you will smile
The sub box is 20% the problem - fix this you will smile with teeth showing
The amp wire kit is 20% the problem - fix this with a 0awg fused correctly to the amp/0awg ground and now you are grinning with teeth showing and some drool... you may frighten people... if you do, You are all set.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.