What size wire? Seriously...

CarAudio.com Regular
The Orion HCCA 3000.1DSPLX requires three 300A fuses. Does this mean I need wiring that can sustain 900A of current? (or does this mean I need three 100A fuses?) I have never worked with amps that have more than one power input. I also have to decide on what amp(s) I will be using for my mids/highs. I figure they will not use more than 150A of fusing between them.

So this leads me to my concern. Can I get away with NOT using 4/0 wire? Will 2/0 be sufficient for a single ~17' run to the back?

orionsnippet.png

Last edited:
Thing is I get multiple inputs stating different things. I have not worked with high current DC like this. I have however, worked in industry with high current, high voltage AC. Up to 1000hp 3 phase motors. But the wire in those situations is small compared to a car stereo. the 1/0 I have in my truck is twice the size as a 4160vac, 250hp motor. So right now I'm still trying to wrap my head around why I would need wire diameter big as a nickel for a few hundred amps. So at the moment I'm going to assume it's like in AC, where the larger higher voltage motors took smaller wire as opposed to the smaller hp motors that needed 4x the wire size.

That being said, I feel that 2/0 will suffice for my setup. One run to the rear battery and from there to a fused distribution block then to the amp. Is there something I'm not seeing?

If there is a good reason I should NOT, absolutely not use 2/0 please let me know before I order anything and waste my money. Otherwise I'm gonna go ahead and grab 30' of it and be done. FYI: I have a bad habit of overthinking things.
Tesla beat Edison. Why do you think we transmit high voltage ac? Cars are low voltage dc, which is absolute worst as far as efficiency goes, but car electrical was not designed with massive stereos in mind.

Give your amp what it wants, or downsize your stereo. Worst case scenario with undersized wiring is your amp shuts off for low voltage.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...