What size wire? Seriously...

CarAudio.com Regular
The Orion HCCA 3000.1DSPLX requires three 300A fuses. Does this mean I need wiring that can sustain 900A of current? (or does this mean I need three 100A fuses?) I have never worked with amps that have more than one power input. I also have to decide on what amp(s) I will be using for my mids/highs. I figure they will not use more than 150A of fusing between them.

So this leads me to my concern. Can I get away with NOT using 4/0 wire? Will 2/0 be sufficient for a single ~17' run to the back?

orionsnippet.png

Last edited:
I'd do the highest rpm at idle. I'd also double check what they consider idle rpm and compare it to what you see in the your ride.

I think if you ever get to the point where your actually pulling more than 400 amps, you'll need to consider a lithium bank in the rear. Those 400+ numbers for draw are usually only burp numbers, you are NEVER going to cruise down the road playing anything that draws 900A, you won't have any windows (or ears) left! Forget which 3nd battery you are going to use, but that should make up for the occasional excess draw. You can always add another 2/0 run if needed.

I think if you ever get to the point where your actually pulling more than 400 amps, you'll need to consider a lithium bank in the rear. Those 400+ numbers for draw are usually only burp numbers, you are NEVER going to cruise down the road playing anything that draws 900A, you won't have any windows (or ears) left! Forget which 3nd battery you are going to use, but that should make up for the occasional excess draw. You can always add another 2/0 run if needed.
But I do need a second battery? Right?

But if I can get away with just using a quality battery under the hood I'd rather just do that.

Last edited:
Hacksaw, wire = Copper ponytail!

When I splice 1.5 mill cable in substations, I’ve tried using the hydraulic “jaws” and they can’t cut it. The old school way is to actually use a hacksaw lol. Now they have like an electric hacksaw but it use to **** doing it by hand 🤣.

When I splice 1.5 mill cable in substations, I’ve tried using the hydraulic “jaws” and they can’t cut it. The old school way is to actually use a hacksaw lol. Now they have like an electric hacksaw but it use to **** doing it by hand 🤣.
I figured it would be like when I was about 19 I had a temp job and the boss told us to cut these tires in half. We were given a hacksaw and told to get after it. The beads were almost impossible to cut. It'll make you learn to cuss in 3 different languages...bakcwards!

I'd buy the largest alt you can afford to buy, with the best idle output. And personally, I think you need two extra large agm batteries. (grp 31) Rule of thumb with them is 1 grp 31 per 1000wrms. ie.. each grp 31 is good for around 100amps continuous.
1 to 2c pull is usually safe for them ...

But I do need a second battery? Right?

But if I can get away with just using a quality battery under the hood I'd rather just do that.
THere are a lot of videos on building your own Li-po bank, I've not done so as I just haven't had a real need. That sdaid, for an AGM, something like these:

Amazon product ASIN B0089NRCQ0
For Li-on

Check with these guys on making you're own.

https://srikobatteries.com/product/4s-5a-battery-energy-active-balancer/

https://jims-machineworkx.myshopify...ducts/lishen-8-5ah-3-2v-lithium-buss-bar-sets

https://srikobatteries.com/product/...eSF2FlX6Lx2vCwrueoaCUmQ-7lmJfyMsaAhDgEALw_wcB

Well, ANYTHING is better than nothing ;) I usually start with XS and do additional research, but that looks like it'l work. I think if you call these guys and ask, they may be able to get you into, I wanna say, 16AH litium bankfor around $200-$250, just make a nice wooden box yourself! Really is the better option.

Well, ANYTHING is better than nothing ;) I usually start with XS and do additional research, but that looks like it'l work. I think if you call these guys and ask, they may be able to get you into, I wanna say, 16AH litium bankfor around $200-$250, just make a nice wooden box yourself! Really is the better option.

How will they be charged? They need a balance charger?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...