What size alternator do I need?

Dang i hope i dont run into this problem. I have a 90 bronco which has 80 amp alt. But im running 2x power to the re sx18 off a mb quart 1600 plus a 400 watt amp for my 6.5s. I havent put the bass amp in not knowing if i should at least upgrade my alt to athe 130 g3 alt first

[quote name='Based']the amp pulls 80a so...

75a alt. around 40% of that is going towards your normal car stuff, so we are left with 60% of 75. 0.6 times 75 is 45a. 80a minus 45a is 35a. After 45a, it's up to your battery to pick up the extra 35a. If your battery is stock then it is probably pulling between 35ah to 60ah. I think if you are not going to go any higher in wattage (like get a bigger setup), then just get a little bit bigger of an alternator such as 100 - 150a and that'll solve the problem and you won't have to have a battery taking up space in your trunk or wherever you decide to put it. If you do think you might go bigger in terms of bass then I'd get something like a 250 - 270a alternator just to prepare for future builds.

But I'm a noob so...[/QUOTE]

This is assuming that the amp is playing a full power sine wave indefinitely... Music is dynamic. A good battery up front and
upgraded battery/chassis grounds is more than sufficient to support a zx750. I agree with @DDtC ; on pretty much all he's said. Clipping, poor connections, or both are the most likely culprits here.

An upgraded alt is ALWAYS a good thing to have in this hobby. But not having one is not the real problem here. Fix the issues... then see if you still want/need one.

Pics of where the gain is set at ? Did you use a dmm ? Unibody cars don't have very many good grounding points so I also agree this is prolly the issue most cars/ trucks can hold more than 750 rms with the exception of a few. But the alt is the best option only if truly needed

Pics of where the gain is set at ? Did you use a dmm ? Unibody cars don't have very many good grounding points soni also agree this is prolly the issue most cars/ trucks can hold more than 750 rms with the exception of a few. But the alt is the best option only if truly needed
My truck has never had problems dealing with my BRX1100 @ 1 ohm. Idk how efficient the amp is or if it is rated at 16V or what but my headlights have never dimmed. For some reason my alt charges everything at 14.1 and that's where it stays even at idle playing a 0db 40hz tone lol. Maybe I'm doing it wrong who knows. I guess I'm just lucky //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

My truck has never had problems dealing with my BRX1100 @ 1 ohm. Idk how efficient the amp is or if it is rated at 16V or what but my headlights have never dimmed. For some reason my alt charges everything at 14.1 and that's where it stays even at idle playing a 0db 40hz tone lol. Maybe I'm doing it wrong who knows. I guess I'm just lucky //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
Recheck your grounds all your connection points as well the bxi isn't very efficient since you asked And load test your battery

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.