What size alternator do I need?

rujoesmith

Kicker zx750.1

2 kicker cvr12 @ 2ohm (800rms 1600 peak)

I have a 98 civic with the stock alternator. According to honda its 75A which just isn't cutting it. Headlights and all accessory light dim pretty badly and I had to unhook the woofers because I think it killed my battery over time (doesnt hold charge for more than 12hrs). Ive done the big 3 which just seemed to make the problem worse.

What size alternator do you guys think would be sufficient? I found a few 150A on ebay but I'm not sure that will be enough.

Thanks!

you can always try a small battery in the back before you go and get another alternator. Usually that will help more than an alternator will

stock 75a alternator does not have enough extra amperage to run that amp without some light dimming. should get a bigger alternator, do the 1/0 big 3 upgrade and maybe a kinetik 600/800 for an extra battery or what ever extra car audio battery for the rear will do the trick. also use a better ground.

sure do and thats not always the case. he needs better electrical anyway. stock alt on a honda will drop like a hooker when it gets warm. so when driving it will be about 45-50a. not enough extra for that amp.

sure do and thats not always the case. he needs better electrical anyway. stock alt on a honda will drop like a hooker when it gets warm. so when driving it will be about 45-50a. not enough extra for that amp.
Do you think a 300 amp is enough for 6000rms? Guess what, it is. Make sure people have the amp right before telling them to spend money they might not have to. How many amps do you see setup wrong? **** near every single one.

i forgot your are mr know-it-all on all things car audio. every amp i have ever put in is setup correctly and have had NO problems with installs. check your **** at the door. your not the install god you think you are. stop dicking and give some actual help. you are on the assumption that his install and settings are wrong. remember when you assume your the A$S in it...

i forgot your are mr know-it-all on all things car audio. every amp i have ever put in is setup correctly and have had NO problems with installs. check your **** at the door. your not the install god you think you are. stop dicking and give some actual help. you are on the assumption that his install and settings are wrong. remember when you assume your the A$S in it...
I'm not assuming anything it's statistics. If his battery died it's probably a bad ground.

the amp pulls 80a so...

75a alt. around 40% of that is going towards your normal car stuff, so we are left with 60% of 75. 0.6 times 75 is 45a. 80a minus 45a is 35a. After 45a, it's up to your battery to pick up the extra 35a. If your battery is stock then it is probably pulling between 35ah to 60ah. I think if you are not going to go any higher in wattage (like get a bigger setup), then just get a little bit bigger of an alternator such as 100 - 150a and that'll solve the problem and you won't have to have a battery taking up space in your trunk or wherever you decide to put it. If you do think you might go bigger in terms of bass then I'd get something like a 250 - 270a alternator just to prepare for future builds.

But I'm a noob so...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.