What should i get

Participant count
  • Participant list

Mr FaceCaser

CarAudio.com Regular
Okay so I'm having a hard time deciding right now I have a really good single din radio but I'm thinking about getting a kenwood double din i forgot the model but it's about $499.99 but at the same time I want to upgrade my amp so rn I have a SIA 3500D amp running 2 sundown Uv2 12s but u talked to sundown and said I could push them on a SIA 5000D amp and be fine and the amp is $699.99 so I need help deciding what should I get instead the amp or the double din radio. (I have ds18 pro zt6 midrange speakers hooked to a ds18 4 channel amp) if that helps. But I have no idea what should I upgrade.

What's the objective? Two different items all together and nobody here is going to be the guardian of your pocketbook. You want pretty and large to look at or large, loud and proud to hear?

Those are the questions grasshopper!

Now, the bad part.
If you have the room, adding a second 3500D would be the better way to go. But you have to consider the following. Dubling the power will only net you about 3 db increase in volume, about 33% more than what you currently run AND that is contingent on the ability of the subs to take theis amount of power, which they cannot. They are rated for 1750 watts each, 3500 total is the thermal limit of those subs. Yes, you could still add the 2nd amplifier but you'll never get close to driving them with 3500 (double) the rated RMS before you send them up in smoke.

That said, if you manage to feed them a total of 2000 watts each and they don't melt, you are looking at a 2% increase in volume, hardly worth toasting the voice coils on the subs.

If you want increased volume, you'll need different woofers that can handle 3500 watts and another 3500 watt amp.

Sounds like the pretty and large maybe the better option.

Now, the bad part.
If you have the room, adding a second 3500D would be the better way to go. But you have to consider the following. Dubling the power will only net you about 3 db increase in volume, about 33% more than what you currently run AND that is contingent on the ability of the subs to take theis amount of power, which they cannot. They are rated for 1750 watts each, 3500 total is the thermal limit of those subs. Yes, you could still add the 2nd amplifier but you'll never get close to driving them with 3500 (double) the rated RMS before you send them up in smoke.

That said, if you manage to feed them a total of 2000 watts each and they don't melt, you are looking at a 2% increase in volume, hardly worth toasting the voice coils on the subs.

If you want increased volume, you'll need different woofers that can handle 3500 watts and another 3500 watt amp.

Sounds like the pretty and large maybe the better option.
Okay the reason I said to get the push them 2500 watts each is because sundown said "2 Uv2 12s should be able to handle the SIA 5000D amp"

Okay the reason I said to get the push them 2500 watts each is because sundown said "2 Uv2 12s should be able to handle the SIA 5000D amp"
Just sent you the following info.

Here is how volume/watts ratio works. Lets say the two woofers you have can actually handle double the power, 3500 watts a piece. Here is the expected increase in volume adding a larger or addital same make/model amplifier.

Keep in mind that a 9-10 db increase is what the ear perceives as a doubling of the volume.

Your current amp will be the baseline here.

Adding wattage to the baseline system.

3500 to 7000 watts, 3 db or a 33% increase in volume over baseline
7000 to 14000 watts, another 3 db or 66% increase over baseline
14000 to 28000 watts, another 3 db or 99% (doubling) of the volume you would hear.

And implementing even the first option, 5000 or 7000 watts, then you have start looking at the electrical to make sure it can handle keep up - think lithium bank/HO alternator/big three, multiple or large gauge wiring.

Sundown just wants to sell you another amplifier. You feed them 2500 watts each, they will be toast - which means you'll likely have to buy another set of subs too! Good for Sundown, not so good for you.

Last edited:
Okay so I'm having a hard time deciding right now I have a really good single din radio but I'm thinking about getting a kenwood double din i forgot the model but it's about $499.99 but at the same time I want to upgrade my amp so rn I have a SIA 3500D amp running 2 sundown Uv2 12s but u talked to sundown and said I could push them on a SIA 5000D amp and be fine and the amp is $699.99 so I need help deciding what should I get instead the amp or the double din radio. (I have ds18 pro zt6 midrange speakers hooked to a ds18 4 channel amp) if that helps. But I have no idea what should I upgrade
My question is..
#1= What vehicle is all this in/going in?
#2= What is your electrical consist of at this time?
#3= What space are you willing to give up?
#4= What is the budget here?
#5= Are you not happy with the sub stage or front stage?/rears?
#6- What HU do you have now installed?
#7= What is the actual needs/wants with the System? SQL? SPL? Or just obnoxiously loud and not a care in the world about quality listening?
#8= are you wanting and SPL system to compete?
Ive had flip out HUs (3 to be exact) that didnt last very long due to my sub stage breaking the unit in pieces/falling apart from Vibrations and heavy air movement. The touch screens for me are impossible to keep wiped down (constantly with a dammned micro fiber detail rag)from ugly and oily finger prints that gets old and time consuming(OCD I guess).
#9= Just Sundown gear only? No other options?
#10= do you have two DVC4 ohm or DVC2 Ohm subs? Model of subs

Last edited:
From the S.Down site. Specs state 1750 RMS per sub?

Keep in mind.. Cone area is usually more impressive along with power and tuning the subs
If you want to get loud in the sub stage area. I would snagg two more of those subs and tune the enclosure down to 29 HTZ and grab an 8k mono amp and feed those jokers, and look at some PA drivers up front on more power

From the S.Down site. Specs state 1750 RMS per sub?

Keep in mind.. Cone area is usually more impressive along with power and tuning the subs
If you want to get loud in the sub stage area. I would snagg two more of those subs and tune the enclosure down to 29 HTZ and grab an 8k mono amp and feed those jokers, and look at some PA drivers up front on more power
Box I tuned around 28 hz and I understand what sundown says on there website but I emailed one of the techs that work with sundown and said the "subs should be able to handle SIA 5000" so I wasn't sure if I should get the SIA 5000 or a double din radio wish I had the money to do a upgrade like that but I would also have to take my back seats out since all these is in a 2012 nissan altima SR

My question is..
#1= What vehicle is all this in/going in?
#2= What is your electrical consist of at this time?
#3= What space are you willing to give up?
#4= What is the budget here?
#5= Are you not happy with the sub stage or front stage?/rears?
#6- What HU do you have now installed?
#7= What is the actual needs/wants with the System? SQL? SPL? Or just obnoxiously loud and not a care in the world about quality listening?
#8= are you wanting and SPL system to compete?
Ive had flip out HUs (3 to be exact) that didnt last very long due to my sub stage breaking the unit in pieces/falling apart from Vibrations and heavy air movement. The touch screens for me are impossible to keep wiped down (constantly with a dammned micro fiber detail rag)from ugly and oily finger prints that gets old and time consuming(OCD I guess).
#9= Just Sundown gear only? No other options?
#10= do you have two DVC4 ohm or DVC2 Ohm subs? Model of subs
2012 Nissan altima SR
The trunk not ready to take back seats out
I'm happy with the front and rear stage sub stage also
I have a Sony DSX M80 (it cuts out when the car first starts)
Going for SPL
I want to compete
Sundown is my preference for subs and amps mid range speakers can be any brand that's loud and sound good
2 DVC4 Wired down to 1 ohm right now

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...