What are your thoughts on mix and match sub builds?

thats like a def no no..what sounds good to him is up for debate lol.. cause you can bet it doesnt sound "good" probably sounds like ***... a) theres a reason you dont see people doing this alot because it doesnt sound good b) those two sub models sound like **** anyhow.
Beg to differ.

OP-Usually this isn't done because while RMS handling may be the same...many other variables vary lol. It is quite counterproductive and can even be harmful to the equipment in extreme circumstances.

I am currently experimenting with my Ranger with this... amp sees 1.75 ohm load - set at 56 volts (roughly 1792 watts) Type-R set to 4 ohms sees roughly 784 watts and a 12W7 at 3 ohm sees roughly 1045 watts. Both sealed and in their own box (obviously). After playing around with placement a bit to give the Type-R a bit more boundary gain I have to say it is much better than what I had expected.

I had never tried (or even considered) a mis-matched arrangement before. Just started digging through the pile of stuff and thought I'd try it. Had to build a box for the W7 but...ooohhh $35 it was worth it just to try it.

I am currently experimenting with my Ranger with this... amp sees 1.75 ohm load - set at 56 volts (roughly 1792 watts) Type-R set to 4 ohms sees roughly 784 watts and a 12W7 at 3 ohm sees roughly 1045 watts. Both sealed and in their own box (obviously). After playing around with placement a bit to give the Type-R a bit more boundary gain I have to say it is much better than what I had expected.I had never tried (or even considered) a mis-matched arrangement before. Just started digging through the pile of stuff and thought I'd try it. Had to build a box for the W7 but...ooohhh $35 it was worth it just to try it.
That sounds like a fail.. How are you going to have to totally different catagories of subs producing the same tones.. Louder does not always mean better, this is one example

I know it sounds like a FAIL. I expected to laugh and go back to a matched arrangement. I'm the first to admit that.

I wasn't looking for "louder". First off they are both sealed. I have 5 or 6 ported boxed laying in the shop right now, if I wanted louder specifically I'd have them in there.

Frankly I was not looking for them to be producing the same tones. I surely don't expect my mid-bass to produce the same tones as my 6½ mains or tweeters.

They are totally different animals (W7 & Type-R) they both have their pro's and con's. I just wanted to see what would happen and like I said, I expected it to be a joke.

The first guy to drink white stuff from a cow was laughed at too.

I know it sounds like a FAIL. I expected to laugh and go back to a matched arrangement. I'm the first to admit that.I wasn't looking for "louder". First off they are both sealed. I have 5 or 6 ported boxed laying in the shop right now, if I wanted louder specifically I'd have them in there.

Frankly I was not looking for them to be producing the same tones. I surely don't expect my mid-bass to produce the same tones as my 6½ mains or tweeters.

They are totally different animals (W7 & Type-R) they both have their pro's and con's. I just wanted to see what would happen and like I said, I expected it to be a joke.

The first guy to drink white stuff from a cow was laughed at too.
To each is own..

I'm a self proclaimed noob at this so forgive me if this is a noob stupid question.

If one or more sub/s produces the upper range of bass the way you like it but lacks low end and another sub produces the lower range of bass the way you like it, what's wrong with combining the two or more? If one or more subs are driven with their own amp producing the upper range of bass signal and the other with it's own amp completing the spectrum what difference does it make if the subs are matched by type, enclosure design or manufacturer?

Seriously I need/want to know.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.