Thoughts on this for quote for my 22’ lexus rx

Participant count
  • Participant list
Looking for some guidence on this. I havent had a system since I was a teenager and I have no idea of cost nor the products used now. Any recommendations are valued. Thanks
Can’t figure out how to just post the pic. But the link should take you there.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/weab...609.HEIC?rlkey=snh3pe8c9dq237670dmji4i5a&dl=0
Well, depending on if y9ou are able to do some of the work, getting shops to install stuff that you purchase e=somewhere else is like asking the dentist for a free crown!
Example, that $299 dollar amp wiring kit sells for around $120 to $150

The $329 LC7i Pro (and you want the pro- it has the lower 22hz fixed subsonic as opposed to the 30hz on the non pro) is around $200 on ebay.

$540 on a 5 channel amp installation? Should I continue?

I know the owner of a loca shop here in town, he knows I know my $hit. Even then, when I go to his shop to have them do certain things, they won;t do all of it. I bent over and purchased the big three plus labor so they would install it. They won't if it isn't stuff they carry, I get it and understand that part too.

So, when i pointed out that I had purchased 2/0 gauge tinned OFC copper marine grade cable fro the +/- grounds, they were cool with running it from the engine compartment, under the car to the rear of the hatch because they only had 1/0 and 4/0, no 2/0 to sell me. I also paid for the dash kit that allows everything to work with the original factory settings on the steering wheel too, it's the least (or most) I could do - and frankly worth the extra $$, too much time for me to do it.

Screenshot 2023-10-31 201112.png

Therein lies the rub. How much can you do and what if anything will they do (of that which you can't or won't) for a price. I don't mind paying them to do the work, but 20-40% mark-up (common but not to bad here) for the equipment is just too much. If you can get the infrastructure done, then some of the stuff like speakers, sound deadening, amps, especially LABOR everything shy of tuning the system, would save you a ton of $$.

I'm not poor but I aint wealthy either!

If I could afford to have someone do it all, probably would. Value is relative right? If you can do a lot of the work, that 6k would get you into s a fully active DSP (Like AudioContorl, Helix, Audison, Mosconi - many to choose from) setup, pretty hi-end to boot. Then pay someone $600 bucks to tune it remotely, win/win!

Last edited:
well…this is all their products… I just went in and asked what the cost would be to upgrade every speaker and add a small sub. So this is all their products. Given the lexus has 9 speakers in it that would be changed. So you think that pricing is valid? The labor to install their amp seemed high to me but again I have no clue. Was hoping to get a break on something....

This Audison equipment is very good equipment. So, a 9 speaker, 5 channel system like this is reasonable, relatively speaker-ing.

The cost savings I alluded to are mostly in labor. A deeper dive into this, not a bad deal, but for the same or roughly $500 to $750 more, that shop could do a DSP setup that would definitely be worth the additional money. Labor, coming from one who can do most all of this myself, as always, is off the charts.

(2) 2-way Audison APK-165 Prima Component set s is priced competitively. That said, I would opt for the Audison APK-165P’s whether you opt for the standard or DSP systems.

A little more each set ($50-$75) but better suited to your type of car/build, has a better midbass driver, better low end, rated 50 Hz and up, the others, 70 Hz. Real world, the “Ps” will actually play down to where your subs should pick up the work, the others, kind of miss the mark in an important area that 70-100 Hz area that is difficult to attain in the first place and not helped by the limits of their selection. Tell them to throw in the better speakers (they can only say no).

Door kits, reasonable
Harness, reasonable

The AudioControl LC7ipro, could purchase unit on eBay for $100 less and not sure why they went that route, the Audison amp has high level inputs which should negate the need for the line out converter (there may be reasons, but I’m not sure as I don’t know the specifics of the cars OEM system in this setup.

You have roughly a $1000 for the AudioControl LOC and the Audison amp, for about $400 more you could skip that option and go with the more powerful, full DSP 6 channel Audison AF-M5.11-bit 1200W 5-Channel Amplifier. IT’s miles above the other and worth every penny, as long as it includes a free tune. Otherwise, more money, sometimes in the neighborhood of $4-$600 more. Some shops include a basic DSP tune with the installation.

SR5 600.2, reasonable
M2KIT0 Is high for a 1/0 gauge kit, but not for that brand, reasonable
Wire and accessories, somewhat reasonable.

I’ve not really touched the labor on this as it’s probably the prevailing rate. I know I said the amp labor is excessive, but it appears to include the making of an amplifier rack and install, so there is that.

That said, maybe I jumped the gun a bit as the equipment prices look relatively tame and in some instances, better than expected.

In a nutshell, if you aren’t able to do most of the install, then you’ll have pay to play at this level of equipment. I would definitely inquire about the fully DSP option. Hearing the difference in the two systems, in my mind, would absolutely be worth the extra money. Either system is going to be impressive; the DSP option would be exceptional if tuned correctly.

Last edited:
This Audison equipment is very good equipment. So, a 9 speaker, 5 channel system like this is reasonable, relatively speaker-ing.

The cost savings I alluded to are mostly in labor. A deeper dive into this, not a bad deal, but for the same or roughly $500 to $750 more, that shop could do a DSP setup that would definitely be worth the additional money. Labor, coming from one who can do most all of this myself, as always, is off the charts.

(2) 2-way Audison APK-165 Prima Component set s is priced competitively. That said, I would opt for the Audison APK-165P’s whether you opt for the standard or DSP systems.

A little more each set ($50-$75) but better suited to your type of car/build, has a better midbass driver, better low end, rated 50 Hz and up, the others, 70 Hz. Real world, the “Ps” will actually play down to where your subs should pick up the work, the others, kind of miss the mark in an important area that 70-100 Hz area that is difficult to attain in the first place and not helped by the limits of their selection. Tell them to throw in the better speakers (they can only say no).

Door kits, reasonable
Harness, reasonable

The AudioControl LC7ipro, could purchase unit on eBay for $100 less and not sure why they went that route, the Audison amp has high level inputs which should negate the need for the line out converter (there may be reasons, but I’m not sure as I don’t know the specifics of the cars OEM system in this setup.

You have roughly a $1000 for the AudioControl LOC and the Audison amp, for about $400 more you could skip that option and go with the more powerful, full DSP 6 channel Audison AF-M5.11-bit 1200W 5-Channel Amplifier. IT’s miles above the other and worth every penny, as long as it includes a free tune. Otherwise, more money, sometimes in the neighborhood of $4-$600 more. Some shops include a basic DSP tune with the installation.

SR5 600.2, reasonable
M2KIT0 Is high for a 1/0 gauge kit, but not for that brand, reasonable
Wire and accessories, somewhat reasonable.

I’ve not really touched the labor on this as it’s probably the prevailing rate. I know I said the amp labor is excessive, but it appears to include the making of an amplifier rack and install, so there is that.

That said, maybe I jumped the gun a bit as the equipment prices look relatively tame and in some instances, better than expected.

In a nutshell, if you aren’t able to do most of the install, then you’ll have pay to play at this level of equipment. I would definitely inquire about the fully DSP option. Hearing the difference in the two systems, in my mind, would absolutely be worth the extra money. Either system is going to be impressive; the DSP option would be exceptional if tuned correctly.
Thanks for your detailed answer. I do appreciate your insight.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...