? for people need your thoughts on this

Firewalker

CarAudio.com VIP
nowhere
My adopted nephew is wanting me to install some stuff. He can't afford to do OFC kit from CT sounds or NVX. Which is what I want him to use. Personally I wish he would order the Stinger OFC kit with the 6 channel rca's for 98 bucks but he won't budge. I had to talk him out of going to walmart and buying that garbage.

Now normally I would NEVER EVER think of installing CCA power & ground wire but maybe this work. I have a 25 foot roll of 1/0 CCA from Sky High that the neighbor gave me for just hooking up his head unit one day.

For what I am installing it will work okay for the 4 channel I am going to use which is 100x4, a set of refurbished Kicker KS 6.5" components that I bought 12 years ago and are still not used, and a set of 6.5" RF 3-Way coaxials for the rear doors all in a 2005 4 door Dodge Dakota.

He wants to add in a subwoofer down the road like the one 10" RF P3D2 I have sitting here. That is around 500 watts RMS which I think we will do down the road. He already has an AGM that I told him to buy.

Think the CCA will hold up?? I hate even thinking of doing this as I want him to do it right with the 4 gauge OFC kit but he is being stubborn about it.

Me personally not a chance in hell would I use it on mine even for a low install like that but I am picky that way. Plus like everyone else once I start an install even though I "SAY" I am only going to do a small upgrade usually with 6 months I am switching it all out anyways,lol.

1/0 quality cca should handle a 4 channel and a small monoblock...when I first got back into this stuff 2 years ago I ran a 1200w monoblock off 4g ds18 cca with no issues for a couple months 🤣

I wouldn't do it again...but it worked fine

Last edited:
It is Sky High stuff so it is quality. I just hate the idea of doing a system in CCA even for this. 100x4 and then probably a 800-1000 watt monoblock down the line.

20-25 years ago it wouldn't have bothered me but as I said I am picky that way. I mean it should hold up but I keep telling him once you start you will want to upgrade and if I have to replace all that 1/0 with OFC or welding wire in a year I am gonna be p!ssed,lol.

It should be fine for that honestly. I’ve had Sky High 2/0 CCA in one of my cars for almost 10 years now, it still works fine (I don't know about your 1/0, but the 2/0 I bought was way oversized, was really like 4/0, so that accounted for the 30 - 40% loss). I don't run huge systems, but has powered roughly 2-3k watts total with zero issues. Anyway, that 1/0 CCA should do the job for the system planned, especially if it is oversized wire. And if he doesn't care about upgrading down the road, then really no worries anyway. I've had relatives with one 10 or 12, a few hundred watts, didn't matter the brand, and they were content with it and had no desire to upgrade.

Thanks, yeah it is Sky High and they make nice wire. I've used the OFC from them in the past both for power and for speaker wire and it has always been top notch. This stuff looks to be that oversized stuff. I know he got it from amazon but they no longer show it for sale.

If it is oversized that helps get it closer to actual 1/0. I could barely fit 4/0 terminals on my 2/0 Sky High. I had originally bought 2/0 terminals and there was no chance fitting it in those. I honestly believe that 1/0 will handle more than OFC 4 gauge. I also prefer OFC, but I think it will be good. If it doesn't I guess you'll be spending more quality time down the road if the upgrade is necesary. 🥳

I hear you. :ROFLMAO:

Make him pay attention during the first install, that way he knows how to do it if time comes to upgrade. Then you don't have to do it. 😄

My sisters boyfriend showed me how to run the wire when I was a young teen and I was good to go after that. Of course I learned a lot myself thereafter, but was a great start to understanding the basic process. This was before internet was so common, so he should be good to go in modern times.

Tell him hey, I'm so worried about using that, fusing that CCA, maybe we should just wait until you can do it right!

Last edited:
I tried that but he just won't put out the money needed to do it right. So going to use the CCA since it will just be that 100x4 and later on down the road the 800-1000 watt mono-block for the RF P3D210 that I have sitting here. That damn dodge dakota does not make it easy to put a subwoofer in anywhere. 4 door version of it and even with a seat lift on it still wouldn't be able to get a subwoofer box under it as it looks like this. Only thing I can think of doing is a ported truck box behind the seat. It lifts up for a small amount of storage and that is it.

Attachments

• IMG_0686.jpg
    IMG_0686.jpg
    492.4 KB · Views: 11
I get it man, like pulling teeth! You can lead a horse to water... For that rear, same rig, new a guy where I used to work, yanked the seat, put in junkyard buckets, built a 6x18x20 (.75" MDF) box, mounted Pioneer TS-A3000LS4 Shallow-mount 12" 4-ohm subwoofer on one side an a 15" paassive radiator on the other side, stuck it lengthwise right in the middle, mounted to the floor and hit it with a GM-d9601 amp and i'll tell ya, it slammed pretty darn good!

Last edited:
I tried that but he just won't put out the money needed to do it right. So going to use the CCA since it will just be that 100x4 and later on down the road the 800-1000 watt mono-block for the RF P3D210 that I have sitting here. That damn dodge dakota does not make it easy to put a subwoofer in anywhere. 4 door version of it and even with a seat lift on it still wouldn't be able to get a subwoofer box under it as it looks like this. Only thing I can think of doing is a ported truck box behind the seat. It lifts up for a small amount of storage and that is it.
Looks like you could raise the back seat maybe 2 to 2-1/2" use longer seat bolts and washers and frame/mold in the under carriage cavity of that seat and do a pair of shallow to 5- 5.25 10s and Aroe the port just on the upper side of the carpeting. may even look at another truck in the yard and see what type of cavity/room there is under that floor cavity to work with? But that CCA 1/0 Sky High will be fine for the 4 ch run and even a 1k substage. You can always make another run of OFC later on if need be.

Amazon product ASIN B017PZPCLY

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...