Understanding Ohms and Amp channels.. HELP!

MCM5595

Okay i just wanna know how wrong i am here...

If I'm looking to get 2 12 inch subs that run at 300 RMS dual voice 2 ohms, i want to get a 2 channel amp that runs at 300 RMS at 2 Ohms.. so then each channel gets 300RMS and/or a 4 channel amp at 2 Ohms that runs 150 RMS each channel then bridge to channels to make 300RMS to each subwoofer (I'm disregarding 4 Ohms amps because i herd they were more expensive)...Or would bridgein the 4 channel 2 ohm amp up the resistance and make it a 4 ohms?

now if i get 2 12s that run at 300RMS dual voice at 4 ohms... finding a amp that is 300 RMS at 4 Ohms is expensive ( or is it?) so i buy a amp that is either a 2 channel (being 300 RMS each channel) or 4 channel being (150 RMS each channel) AT 2 ohms so i bridge the 4 channels to simulate a 2 channel , i run the subs parellel so the amp thinks its a pair of 2 ohm subs but really it is two subs that are 4 ohms... honestly this is all information that i have observed from the internet and im trying to find out if i peaced it all togther

please correct me where im wrong... wich probally is everything :p

Thanks.

wow.. hmm.. you might have lost me through that.. you can run a mono amp too. you dont have to have specific channel of amp.. plus you can weire your speakers different. dual 2 ohm coils you can wire subs to 4,2,1.. lots of options...

holy shit, lol.

Get a mono amp...and just wire the subs together for a final load of 1 ohm, or 2 ohm. Really easy to do, check out Rockford Fosgate's wiring wizard

Here

Since this is subwoofers we are discussing, you could find a mono (1 channel) amplifier that gives you 600rms @ 2 ohms for 2 DVC 2 ohm woofers; or an amplifier that gives 600rms @ 1 ohm or 4 ohm for 2 DVC 4 ohm woofers.

You could also potentially end up @ 4 ohm or .5 ohm, so wiring will be key. The above options tend to be the easiest on a budget.

Since this is subwoofers we are discussing' date=' you could find a mono (1 channel) amplifier that gives you 600rms @ 2 ohms for 2 DVC 2 ohm woofers; or an amplifier that gives 600rms @ 1 ohm or 4 ohm for 2 DVC 4 ohm woofers.
You could also potentially end up @ 4 ohm or .5 ohm, so wiring will be key. The above options tend to be the easiest on a budget.[/quote']

not alot of 600watt amps out there .5 stable

ya.. depends on what you are looking for. If you want as much boom as possible go the 1 ohm route. if its too much or you just want a little punch with your music got 2 or 4.. just depends on what sound you are going for

Basic Car Audio Electronics

This website will help you learn quite a bit on anything car audio related. Specifically section 58 deals with series/parallel impedance and wiring.

The link that plugitin posted is also good to see what your wiring options are for a specific set of coils.

ya.. depends on what you are looking for. If you want as much boom as possible go the 1 ohm route. if its too much or you just want a little punch with your music got 2 or 4.. just depends on what sound you are going for
And you base the sound differences caused by impedance on...? Just curious //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Also OP, there are a good amount of amplifiers that can work for this application in a low budget range, since that seemed important to you.

wat

just wattages. you get a 600 watt amp and wire it at 1 ohm and get 600 out of it.. wire it at 2 and get 300. less watts=lessboom=lessdistortion. then you could have an sq type setup wire it at 4 and not have much punch but have clean bass.

im looking to feel the subs hit.. thats about it im not worried about vibrating my mirrors off or anything just a light feeling and good compelementing bass... ill be running the system in a SUV im also looking for it to last i dont wanna have to keep spending money on blown woofers XD, although i read that if you go down to 1 ohm some subwoofers cant handle it so is it good to match the subs ohms and amp ohms to insure that there is no heat buildup?

just wattages. you get a 600 watt amp and wire it at 1 ohm and get 600 out of it.. wire it at 2 and get 300. less watts=lessboom=lessdistortion. then you could have an sq type setup wire it at 4 and not have much punch but have clean bass.
Answer the question.

And you base the sound differences caused by impedance on...? Just curious //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
Also OP' date=' there are a good amount of amplifiers that can work for this application in a low budget range, since that seemed important to you.[/quote']

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.