Ohms?!?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Guccimayne1017

CarAudio.com Newbie
I have 2 dual 2 ohm kicker cvx. I’m going to wire to 2 ohms… Was kicking around a 3rd sub because it would bring me to either 1.3 or 3 ohms with another 2 ohm one… Queation being if I had a 4 ohm one wired that down to 2 ohms is there a way to trick the amp?

If you have 3 x 2 ohm speakers, you’re only going to be able to wire them at .67 ohms. All of your speakers need to have the exact same voice coils, or the system is going to be unbalanced, which will cause possibly electrical and definitely some distortion problems. You never wanna mix and match any subs except the exact same subs in every fashion, optimally. Mixing and matching different ohm voice coils will cause the lower ohm voice coil to receive more power than the higher ohm ones, which will probably lead to damaging voice coils.

Clarity edit: if you do 3x 2 ohm dvc to 4 ohms then parallel each sub, that is 1.3 ohms. I slightly misread your post, sorry.

Last edited:
Mixing and matching different ohm voice coils will cause the lower ohm voice coil to receive more power than the higher ohm ones...
FYI: in a parallel circuit, the lower impedance coils receive more power, because voltage is constant. In a series circuit, the higher impedance coils receive more power, because current is constant.

FYI: in a parallel circuit, the lower impedance coils receive more power, because voltage is constant. In a series circuit, the higher impedance coils receive more power, because current is constant.
I’m not sure if I’ve ever thought about it in that much detail. That is a very excellent point. I was seeing the three subs as series to 4 ohms then parallel to .67, and I was thinking about one of those 3 subs being a D4 wired in series to 8 ohms then running parallel with the other woofers.

Use this to figure the resistance at the amp.

2 of the subs wired in series to 4 then wired in parallel with one at 2 gives you the option of a 1.33 load.

1698519044497.png

I have 2 dual 2 ohm kicker cvx. I’m going to wire to 2 ohms… Was kicking around a 3rd sub because it would bring me to either 1.3 or 3 ohms with another 2 ohm one… Queation being if I had a 4 ohm one wired that down to 2 ohms is there a way to trick the amp?
Wiring 3 dvc2 ohm subs will get you to 1.3ohms.. 3 ohms.. or 12 ohms depending on which configuration you choose. You will need a 1 ohm stable amplifier for the 1.3 ohm configuration

Yeah, if you haven't bought em yet, then get a matching third sub. I would wire them to 1.3ohm, unless for some reason, you have some really nice big sub amp that can't do 1 ohm. Amps don't play only at 1,2, and 4 ohms, that's just the common setups so those are the standard ratings, anything that can do 1 and 2 ohms, can do 1.3. When you do the math, 1.3 is right about the middle of 1 and 2 if you're looking at rated power to get an idea of what will work. I'm running (3) 4ohm dvc subs down to 2.6ohm.
wall all PS.jpg

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...