Type-X's Keep Blowing

203_530i

CarAudio.com Newbie
In my 2003 W 530i I had 1 Alpine Type-X W12D4 in a Skar 32-36Hz vented Blbox wired to an Alpine V-Power 1000M Amp that kept over heating so I replaced it with an Alpine Type-X A90M Amp running to a Soundstream VRN DD7HB Headunit w/ Memphis 2 Farad Cap. The Sub Blew Apart in 3 Months. The Heat Sink literally blew through the center of the Sub. I got that sub replaced under warranty. 6 months after replacing the sub with another Type-X W12D4 the exact same same thing happened again. I checked all the wiring everything is good, I can't make sense of this. I have had Alpine Subs my entire life. Other then these Type-X's I was running Dual 15" Alpine Type-R's wired to a Alpine V- Power 2000M Amp. I abused the **** out of that system for over 12 yrs and never had any types of issues other then is draining my battery because I didn't have a Cap. I would still have that system today if the subs didn't get punctured in an accident (I loved that system). If anyone has any ideas as to why this keeps happening please chime in. Any ideas as to why would be great. Thanks in advance for your help.

Attachments

• 20210531_160628.jpg
    20210531_160628.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 145
No one uses caps anymore, a good alternator/battery, proper gain settings using a 40hz tone along with a good ported box not some prefab especially not a Skarbage box and you should be okay.

Those subwoofer should handle 900 watts no problem. Gotta agree with above set the gains properly plus get someone to design you a box for that subwoofer to really max out its potential.

Agreed that it sounds like the gain is too high causing issues. You have some nice substage equipment. I would upgrade the head unit honestly.

Yeah Soundstream and quality these days except for that one 4 channel amplifier doesn't go together. Plus Soundstream was really never known for head units just the amplifiers.

I got a couple nice head units I might be parting with here soon. A Pioneer DEH-80PRS and I have two of the Factory Refurbished Kenwood KDC-X998 head units as well, going to keep one and list both the Pioneer and one of the Kenwoods probably this weekend to pay for a transfer case overhaul.

Make sure you get a bass knob with a clipping light in the dash. Get a nice 4-5 volt pre-out head unit. Then think about getting a nice AGM battery. You have to get the gain set properly though. It's not a volume button. Btw, I got an Alpine 4 volt HU for just over $100 (cde-172bt). No more caps.

I'd agree. Type x should be pretty bullet proof at 1000W. Either your box is wrong/leaky and you're breaking the sub mechanically or you're overdriving your amp.

Look at gains first, then figure out where you play the system and see if you are not clipping at that volume level and adjust gains down. Ive seen people play a system at level 30 on their deck and were clearing clipping at that volume level. Also, do you have things like bass boost on? If so, turn it off. Last OP said it is in a Skar box. You listed tuning but more about the box. I assume that is some form of prefab but do you know what cube it is? Bad box, gains up, clipping all can send a sub to an early grave easy and quickly.

Look at gains first, then figure out where you play the system and see if you are not clipping at that volume level and adjust gains down. Ive seen people play a system at level 30 on their deck and were clearing clipping at that volume level. Also, do you have things like bass boost on? If so, turn it off. Last OP said it is in a Skar box. You listed tuning but more about the box. I assume that is some form of prefab but do you know what cube it is? Bad box, gains up, clipping all can send a sub to an early grave easy and quickly.
The Skar is a prefab box it's 2.00 cu.ft.

Those Skarbage prefab boxes are junk from factory. Known to fall apart and be nowhere close to what they claim all around. No bass boost on amplifier either. Contact buck here and have him design you a box and then make it. The difference will be night and day.

Exact same thing has happened to me and the subwoofer has been underpowered. I emailed Alpine directly. Not even been used for 2 years and this has happened. I was powering mine using the Alpine X-A90V 5 Channel Amp.

Attachments

• DSC_0106.JPG
    DSC_0106.JPG
    786.4 KB · Views: 34
box tuning can do some damage if you are hitting it hard below tuning. They unload and move way more they normal too. Clipping, not enough ground, and box are most common death of subs.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...