Hardcore Headliner Rattling Noise

Participant count
  • Participant list

Zpop

CarAudio.com Newbie
Chicago
I have recently installed a 12” American Bass sub with a 1200w amp from Skar Audio in my 2021 VW Jetta. I’ve had the system / have been working on breaking the sub in for almost a week now. But, obviously wanting to hear the system at it’s loudest, whenever I turn it up the back of the headlight (right above the rear window) it starts to rattle on certain bass notes. Not sure if that is the correct terminology, but the rattling can become quite extreme on the headliner and is audible whilst the music is playing.

Now most people would recommend sound deadener to stop this issue, but other than this do I have any options? And if I am forced to go with sound deadener, which I wouldn’t mind to stop trunk rattle from the exterior, what are some good and cost efficient sound deadener solutions I could go with?

Thanks in advance!

deadener is your best bet. Any other solution won’t look very good. Mine does the same thing in my Jeep. If you look at the top of your car on low notes, the entire top is probably flexing, not just the headliner.

You could probably use caulking or construction adhesive in between the offending panels and the body of the vehicle. I've seen this done with good results. Expanding foam could also help keep things in place but there's a risk it expands into where the bulb is or even starts oozing out any cracks it can find.

At some point when people decide to take things to extreme old panels/headliners are usually scrapped entirely and new ones built in with wood, steel, and/or fiberglass.

More than one way to skin this cat but I don't believe there's anything simple or non-permanent.

Deadener is probably the best option. I completely gutted my Mini so I could apply deadener everywhere I could reach. I have used FatMat with good results and the prices weren't bad.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...