test tones vs music

Is there any reason that test tones would sound considerably better than music?

Even bass tracks that are basically test tones with other sounds don't sound as good

I'm using a factory head unit with a line output converter so I thought maybe some frequencies weren't getting reproduced but after setting the gains with test tones and then playing them, they all sound very good, 30 40 50 80 and 100hz

Now it was considerably less apparent when I had my 32hz 2 cube ported box, but on this sealed 10" it's allot different

The tones used in your bass music could be a completely different level than your test tones, as well as clipped vs unclipped. If you enjoy listening to bass tracks there are ways to get digital downloads that are known to have clean bass, not nasty sounding clipped bass.

I used a tone generator on my phone to set my gains by ear (and EXTREMELY conservatively, I don't recommend this) temporarily until my friend gets his oscope, but I will still be using a 35 or 40 hz tone.

I used a tone generator on my phone to set my gains by ear (and EXTREMELY conservatively, I don't recommend this) temporarily until my friend gets his oscope, but I will still be using a 35 or 40 hz tone.
Do you listen to your amp literally for a faint buzzing when clipping starts? That's how I do my sub gain adjustment and to be safe I do use both a DD1 and a Fluke Oscop.

Do you listen to your amp literally for a faint buzzing when clipping starts? That's how I do my sub gain adjustment and to be safe I do use both a DD1 and a Fluke Oscop.
I turned it up until the sub stopped moving farther then back down until I was just below the max travel I got to before, then turned it down a bit more to be safe.

I turned it up until the sub stopped moving farther then back down until I was just below the max travel I got to before, then turned it down a bit more to be safe.
What I meant was to listen to your amp itself without speakers connected. Using a test tone, listen to your amp buzz, once you hear it it is clipping. The louder your gain the louder the buzzing of the amp. It's very faint but truly noticeable, that's why everything should be quiet around you.

What I meant was to listen to your amp itself without speakers connected. Using a test tone, listen to your amp buzz, once you hear it it is clipping. The louder your gain the louder the buzzing of the amp. It's very faint but truly noticeable, that's why everything should be quiet around you.
I highly doubt this works on all amps.

That's not entirely very accurate. I just use the trusty old oscilloscope.

That's not entirely very accurate. I just use the trusty old oscilloscope.
Use your Oscope, your DD1 and what ever you have to test it. All I'm saying is try to listen to your amp for a buzz when it clips. Now how hard and inaccurate would that be when you have your Oscope or DD1 connected. If your amp buzzes, it will sometimes buzz before the Oscope or DD1 does. If you still don't want to try it that's fine by me but don't kill as inaccurate, it's truly hard teaching an old dog a new trick. By the way I use a Fluke 105B Oscilloscope together with a SMD DD1, now that would be pretty accurate.

I finally set up the video, just take a look it's not going to bite you.

http://s1115.photobucket.com/user/yogegoy/media/SettingAmpGain_zps3a264820.mp4.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Use your Oscope, your DD1 and what ever you have to test it. All I'm saying is try to listen to your amp for a buzz when it clips. Now how hard and inaccurate would that be when you have your Oscope or DD1 connected. If your amp buzzes, it will sometimes buzz before the Oscope or DD1 does. If you still don't want to try it that's fine by me but don't kill as inaccurate, it's truly hard teaching an old dog a new trick. By the way I use a Fluke 105B Oscilloscope together with a SMD DD1, now that would be pretty accurate.
I finally set up the video, just take a look it's not going to bite you.

http://s1115.photobucket.com/user/yogegoy/media/SettingAmpGain_zps3a264820.mp4.html
The oscilloscope will always be 1000 times more accurate than listening for a buzzing sound coming from your amp..lol

I know for a fact that it is a inaccurate way to set your gain, trust me I repair amplifiers for a hobby.

I set mine by dmm because i dont have a scope or dd-1 to use, nor am i going to rent or buy one. Ive been doing this pretty much since i have started car audio with out issues

I set mine by dmm because i dont have a scope or dd-1 to use, nor am i going to rent or buy one. Ive been doing this pretty much since i have started car audio with out issues
Ya that's a bit different than listening for a buzzing sounds coming from the inside of the amp.

You can get a handheld oscilloscope off ebay for $60

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.