What 6.5" speaker will sound best in my trucks enviroment............ Help me pick!

six6nine9wpk

Wash, DC
I know there are a lot of speakers vs. speaker questions. I have done a lot of research pertaining to 6.5' speakers in my budget. I have narrowed it down to 4 speakers.

Image Dynamics - CTX65

Morel - Tempo 6c

Focal - 165vb Polyglass

JBL - MS62

I don't have the ability to listen to these speakers. I know these speakers are pretty close in performance. So my question isn't what speaker is the best. My question is what speaker do you think will perform the best in my cars environment.

20140123_101919.jpg

As you can see in the picture my tweeter is roughly 36' from the 6'5 midbass driver located in my door. The tweeter is also off axis pointing towards the window. I know you really want to keep your tweeter and midbass driver within 12' of each other, but I don't want to change the stock location of my speakers. The speaker set will also be powered by a 2 - channel Sound Stream REF2.640 and I'm also installing a Sundown SA - '10 for my low's.

With all that being said which one of theses speakers do you think will perform best under these conditions?

You might not like this answer, but every one of these sets probably could sound good with proper door acoustic treatments, time alignment and EQ. You want to make sure your subs are not going to fall off before the midbass region, or roughly 80-90 Hz if possible.

MS-62C is frequently mentioned to be a poor performer down to 80 Hz, and based on our sound board comparisons I agree with that assessment. I only have spots for 4 pairs of speakers, but the bass is not as full as even a $120 pair of CDT 6.5" coaxials in the same size enclosure. For what they do above ~100 Hz they're a very balanced and natural sounding set. Put them in a vehicle with the chaos of reflections and it all changes, which is why I like to implement a powerful DSP to attempt to shape the response.

looks like a 1999-2006 chevy truck..... AM I right? If so there should be a spot in the door above the 6.5" mid for a tweet. Some options had them there and others had them in the pillars. But either way there should still be a spot to mount them in the doors right above the mid

I have the focals and the focal 5x8s they are amazing...the clearest most warm sounding speakers ive heard but for 700bucks id expect nothing less!
Sorry lol correction...5x7s not 8s ....i read a lotbof people complaining bout focals tweeters being too harsh...well they must notbknow how to adjust their settings because mine r crisp and clean and not overbearing at all. If u can find a good deal on em id say snatch em up. U wont be let down

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.