Terrible problem

Participant count
  • Participant list
So I have an alpine sa60m amplifier new and a new Rockford fosgate p3d412 wired to 2 ohms to match the amplifier both having 600 rms 2 ohms ratings, this said, maybe the sub is just weak, but for 200$ I expected to feel the sub and at best you only hear it and the occasional rattle and then it pops, so I run back to turn down the gain a little and when its " set properly " its non-existent. Extremely irritated. Been following other threads for a week with no positive result. I see videos of the sub review on YouTube and the p3 is shacking the whole car sometimes, but mine is a waste of good materials then. Someone please tell me what your insight might be and one the problem might be. I'm in a 2008 Mazda 3, it's grounded well, powered well, 2 guage wire, the amp never shuts off, the sub just pops and I want to push it way harder but can't. The amp does have a "preamp" set of RCA's, will buying a preamp fix my problem or not ? Anything helps
Stock or aftermarket head unit.

Kenwood dpx500
From your description something sounds amiss. What are your settings on your hu and amp (crossover points,subwoofer level,eq, bass boost, etc) also have you tried reversing the phase or moving the box to a different location?
Personally I’d try to line out what you have now and then see how you like it. The prefab boxes you’re looking at are garbage. Your sub is only as good as the enclosure you put it in. If you want a better box you’re going to have to pay for it or build it. 200 $ sub in a 50 dollar box? Might as well of bought a 50$ sub.

From your description something sounds amiss. What are your settings on your hu and amp (crossover points,subwoofer level,eq, bass boost, etc) also have you tried reversing the phase or moving the box to a different location?
Personally I’d try to line out what you have now and then see how you like it. The prefab boxes you’re looking at are garbage. Your sub is only as good as the enclosure you put it in. If you want a better box you’re going to have to pay for it or build it. 200 $ sub in a 50 dollar box? Might as well of bought a 50$ sub.
I have moved the box around it still doesn't please, everything I stays on zero so it doesn't pop, I put the cross over ( or maybe low pass or whatever exactly it is on my amp) to 80 bc I heard that was a good starting point I've had an infinity 12 inch 120.9 watt with an amp for years until it bit the dust I was very impressed with it, I ran it really hard for a really long time, bought this whole set thinking it would be a good replacement but if this doesn't fix it I'm pondering buying another set 120.9 kappa like my last and just be done with it but I would love to get this to work

If the prefab doesn't work I'll just have to try to build one even though it looks intimidating getting all the measurements correct, im a 19 year old that mows lawns for a living and going to college next year, I said that to say this, I just can't afford to pay for "the good stuff" so if the prefab ***** I'll be asking for some tips and help on building one lol

I have moved the box around it still doesn't please, everything I stays on zero so it doesn't pop, I put the cross over ( or maybe low pass or whatever exactly it is on my amp) to 80 bc I heard that was a good starting point I've had an infinity 12 inch 120.9 watt with an amp for years until it bit the dust I was very impressed with it, I ran it really hard for a really long time, bought this whole set thinking it would be a good replacement but if this doesn't fix it I'm pondering buying another set 120.9 kappa like my last and just be done with it but I would love to get this to work
Popping is an issue I haven’t experienced in all my years of messing with audio. Seems like a equipment issue or possibly installation. You do need to turn the subwoofer level all the way up to get the voltage up to its full potential also.
I’d get a 3.5 to rca adapter and hook your phone directly to the amp and see how it acts. Digital multimeter is also a good tool for trouble shooting. Checking grounds sub wiring etc.
As far as the box if you know anyone that has tools and a little woodworking knowledge and as already mentioned you can get help with the design here they are fairly simple to put together.Cost and performance is worth the trouble imo.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.