Votes: 0 0.0%
  • bigger sub

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Bobbytwonames

Angry Old Man
Aug 28, 2018
Vegas
🙏thanks for all the help guys, got to go out of town for the weekend. next business day i should have some evidence to report.

reporting back next week

hoping it's just the chinsy wiring. the wiring in the box coupled with whatever shop i took it to. who knows

ive looked up some high output alts to no avail. my goal now is to build my system around supporting a 3k amp
i'll keep an eye out, and i have an eye out on a specific deer when the time comes

bobby how much thump you get out of that thing? hit the dm's.
love the AB and how some of their subs got the ribbed surround
It hit 143.8 right after the install. I never had it metered after I had it professionally adjusted.

minicorndog

CarAudio.com Recruit
Jan 7, 2021
California
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It hit 143.8 right after the install. I never had it metered after I had it professionally adjusted.
that's what's up. major thumping.
20210114_122600.jpg

quick update, guys. major disappointment.
so i had the sub installed at a local shop because i lack the tools to install them myself. maybe i should've specified wiring the sub in parallel instead of at 1 ohm, but to my dismay when i metered the terminals on the box it was fluctuating nowhere around 1. I can't take the sub out to rewire myself. it feels like i'd strip out the screws

I installed a new battery under the hood and that improved the sound surprisingly. picked up a group 31 agm battery for the trunk too which i have yet to install.

kind've stuck; didn't want to bump this thread with no real progress. but just going to post this up.

peace

mastershake575

CarAudio.com Veteran
Mar 11, 2015
Dallas
View attachment 26104

so i had the sub installed at a local shop because i lack the tools to install them myself. maybe i should've specified wiring the sub in parallel instead of at 1 ohm, but to my dismay when i metered the terminals on the box it was fluctuating nowhere around 1.
I remember posting a few weeks ago that it not being at 1ohm is a likely possibility. It's happened to alot of people over the years (take it to a shop and they wire 4ohm instead of 1)

Reactions: Bobbytwonames

LsGuy

Manila Gorilla
Sep 11, 2020
Ohio
View attachment 26104

so i had the sub installed at a local shop because i lack the tools to install them myself. maybe i should've specified wiring the sub in parallel instead of at 1 ohm, but to my dismay when i metered the terminals on the box it was fluctuating nowhere around 1. I can't take the sub out to rewire myself. it feels like i'd strip out the screws

I installed a new battery under the hood and that improved the sound surprisingly. picked up a group 31 agm battery for the trunk too which i have yet to install.

kind've stuck; didn't want to bump this thread with no real progress. but just going to post this up.

peace
Man you need some basic tools. You don't have to have a full garage, but $50 would get you setup with enough hand tools to get by. I couldn't imagine not having a screwdrive to install a sub in a box.

As far as tools to build a custom box, I get that not everybody has a table saw, router, miter etc. But it was mentioned earlier that home depot will do specific cuts. If you had all your panel dimensions laid out you could literally have them cut it out for you. I think the first 2 cuts are free, and it's 50 cents a cut after. You may end up with like $15 in cut costs. A lot of people have had issues with their cuts not being super accurate, but the stuff they've done for me was at least close enough to work with. While you are there grab a tube of caulk, a couple of clamps and some wood glue. Totally doable.

I had buck design a set of boxes for me running 6.5 inch subs. One per box. They will rattle the hell out of my mirrors. The box makes a huge difference.

Reactions: minicorndog

minicorndog

CarAudio.com Recruit
Jan 7, 2021
California
Turn of events. upon inspecting the sub with a multimeter it's a d1 sub. so it's wired at 2 ohm.

my question now: is running the saz 1500d at half ohm advisable or should I stick with it at 2 to be safe?

ThxOne

AudioFreak
Jun 8, 2018
Saint Marys, GA
🍿 trade in that sub for a sub that has dual 2ohm voice coils? Buy a second identical sub and worry about your hearing when your 70? Run that beefcake at .5ohm!!!!

mastershake575

CarAudio.com Veteran
Mar 11, 2015
Dallas
Turn of events. upon inspecting the sub with a multimeter it's a d1 sub. so it's wired at 2 ohm.
I figured it wasn't at 1 ohm. A 15 inch sub ported on 1500 watts shouldn't lack output
Run that beefcake at .5ohm!!!!
That's what i'd do. Run at .5 ohms and just keep tabs on your voltage (make sure it doesn't drop too much).

Reactions: Bobbytwonames

minicorndog

CarAudio.com Recruit
Jan 7, 2021
California
🍿 trade in that sub for a sub that has dual 2ohm voice coils? Buy a second identical sub and worry about your hearing when your 70? Run that beefcake at .5ohm!!!!
all viable options. appreciate the looking out.😎
I figured it wasn't at 1 ohm. A 15 inch sub ported on 1500 watts shouldn't lack output
That's what i'd do. Run at .5 ohms and just keep tabs on your voltage (make sure it doesn't drop too much).
I had a feeling I could run it, but wanted to run it by some more experienced people first. appreciate all the help guys. we figured out all the reasons why my 15" ain't thumping like my old 10".
Screenshot_20210125-193822_Chrome.jpg

srs: what's the worst that can happen?

minicorndog

CarAudio.com Recruit
Jan 7, 2021
California
Most of the solid korean boards can run .5 ohms (after box rise you should be above 1ohms regardless)

Really the only drawback is it will now be easier to stress both the car and amp but as long your monitoring the voltage it shouldn't be a big deal
appreciate it. thanks, man. 👍

nauc

CarAudio.com Veteran
10+ year member
Mar 22, 2005
Home
how was the amp gain set?

nauc

CarAudio.com Veteran
10+ year member
Mar 22, 2005
Home
you might try it like this. the correct test tones are at the very bottom...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)

• steelej16

Newest threads

Most posts - Past 30 days

Latest classifieds