Subwoofer Recommendation/Sound Science

Ended up getting the SWS and a sealed 1.0 cu box.
Now while this thing has a **** ton of SPL, it REALLY sounds muddy (and in comparison to my friends pioneer two 12's in a sealed box, those sound cleaner and were actually cheaper than the SWS). Definitely not what I expected. But since everything is working, I'll see if I can build a box... but I don't know if a custom box will transform this sub into something that has clearer bass. Guess I should have went with the Dayton HO.
A 10? Did you get a prefab? If so make sure it is a cube.

I gave you... OP... a ported design... you're going with sealed?.. ok
Yes, I went with a prefab sealed, and my plan now is to build one myself (using your box) over time. I just didn't want to wait forever to get my sub installed and would like to use this as a learning experience as well. Also now hearing three cars with prefabs, I thought I would be able to get similar performance but that actually isnt the case.

Ahhh... I see... well when you get around to building it you'll see a HUGE difference in low end response and that "muddiness" you refer to should probably disappear once the X-overs and levels are set correctly. It should really extend the bandwidth lower without "bass boost" or any of that crap.

Using sealed for a "tighter" or some other perceived advantage in the response is a load of ... lol... I haven't seen a sealed go low well unless it's a quality, sealed specific and usually more expensive driver.

Good luck, I'd get a larger sealed BTW... 1.5ft3 before displacements ought to sound better.

Ahhh... I see... well when you get around to building it you'll see a HUGE difference in low end response and that "muddiness" you refer to should probably disappear once the X-overs and levels are set correctly. It should really extend the bandwidth lower without "bass boost" or any of that crap.
Using sealed for a "tighter" or some other perceived advantage in the response is a load of ... lol... I haven't seen a sealed go low well unless it's a quality, sealed specific and usually more expensive driver.

Good luck, I'd get a larger sealed BTW... 1.5ft3 before displacements ought to sound better.
I might be able to get a video comparison w/ my buddies cars since I have a pretty decent mic to use. We'll see.

Sealed doesn’t need a subsonic. Ported does. Sealed can play lower controlled. I think you are confusing port bloat.

Or you have only heard small sealed with high F3s.

Sealed doesn’t need a subsonic. Ported does. Sealed can play lower controlled. I think you are confusing port bloat. Or you have only heard small sealed with high F3s.
Jeez man... EVERY THREAD?... wow... I've never seen so anyone as ready to argue about anything... next it'll be the unicorn farts in your bass

Not arguing. Stating facts. You are wrong which can be proven with measurements.
Ok... fine... arguing with an obviously "SQ" guru that loves his sealed enclosure setup and will try to reference an "RTA" style response as some type of proof that his way is better is useless... lol... I'd rather eat Alpo for lunch than hear all about it... you win man.

Diyma is full of "members" like you... I'm sure you are a major influence over there...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.