Subwoofer Recommendation/Sound Science

Sa-15 on a Synergy 3k... at... wait for it... 2 ohm... eventually ill get another and go ported but I modeled it up in a 4th and it may be peaky but it'll (or should) meet my goals. 2k+ on a Sa-15 should do ok... it's not a low tuned box but should go reasonably low for a tune of just under 50hz.

Sa-15 on a Synergy 3k... at... wait for it... 2 ohm... eventually ill get another and go ported but I modeled it up in a 4th and it may be peaky but it'll (or should) meet my goals. 2k+ on a Sa-15 should do ok... it's not a low tuned box but should go reasonably low for a tune of just under 50hz.
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/applause.gif.bb805d8088f72dbc2fe808c29e85fb4c.gif

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go for a single Alpine Type-S SWS-12D4. Now I need to know how much to for a custom enclosure, and if I can't, what would be the best prefab box, as well as an amp and wiring. I'd prefer a sealed box. Tuning? What exactly do you mean? I'll update you tomorrow w/ dimensions, is there a typical price range?
You'd prefer sealed?.. then a custom box won't be what you need. You could get one built but I'd wager if you look at volumes of different online offerings that you'll find something constructed well and just what you need. Any particular reason you'd prefer sealed? I'm curious if it's for convenience or some perceived advantage you'll get sound wise.

You'd prefer sealed?.. then a custom box won't be what you need. You could get one built but I'd wager if you look at volumes of different online offerings that you'll find something constructed well and just what you need. Any particular reason you'd prefer sealed? I'm curious if it's for convenience or some perceived advantage you'll get sound wise.
Supposedly sealed offers tighter, more accurate bass response, I'm going for sq.

Ok then... those supposed advantages just keep cropping up... lol... it shouldn't be hard to match a sealed box to your space and volume needed.

Supposedly sealed offers tighter, more accurate bass response, I'm going for sq.
A truly well built and tuned ported box is what most would prefer over sealed. I am posting a picture of what you could do. But....
I would recommend buying a bigger amp than you would think you would need and then only using a portion of the power. Because most want to upgrade later. If you put in a 1k-1.5k mono amp you could always expand and still use it. And the difference in price may only be $20-75 in a 500 watt bump in power.

21fc461b9e5da9d23bb8941183f16fa8.jpg

A truly well built and tuned ported box is what most would prefer over sealed. I am posting a picture of what you could do. But....
I would recommend buying a bigger amp than you would think you would need and then only using a portion of the power. Because most want to upgrade later. If you put in a 1k-1.5k mono amp you could always expand and still use it. And the difference in price may only be $20-75 in a 500 watt bump in power.

21fc461b9e5da9d23bb8941183f16fa8.jpg
The woofers my friend has are sealed. And I dont want as much bass as he has. And thank you, I was looking at the same exact amp.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really believe the OP has only experienced a set of sealed 300 watt Pioneers that probably don't go low well... hey.. if knockin around the block seems good enough?.. ok... but a quality enclosure tuned correctly with a decent driver will be as articulate and flat sound better ported unless you have the ability to equalize the signal heavily and/or buy an expensive quality driver... it's gonna keep on knockin.

Too much bass?.. lol... its quality of bass... and that's what sub level adjustment is for.

nope, sealed in most cases just has a giant peak at 40 to 55 hz in most cases while having weak output in the lower registries. Definitely not any where close to actual SQ. Unless the sub is a quality SQ linear sub that wont have peaks which is only there if you spend over 300 for the sub.

You need to learn how to model out subs in particular enclosures in winisd.

A proper sound quality designed ported/4th order or 6th order enclosure will have more bandwidth and accurate bass response than a sealed. If you have space, a 1/4 wave transmission line will outright destroy both options when it comes to sound quality.

Its all about the box design. Whatever you read about ported sounds muddy is all from noobs that have no idea what the fk they are doing.

I don't have the tools to make one. I don't know anyone who will make one for me. I'll look into that shredder dude.
All you need is a drill and jigsaw or 4 bar clamps and a jigsaw. Get a cut sheet and take it to your local lumber yard. Most places will cut the wood to size for you so all you need to do is assemble it and cut out the holes.

1.00 Cubic Ft.

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_31993_Atrend-12SQL.html

0.75 Cubic Ft

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_31990_Atrend-12SQ.html

So I'm planning on getting the Alpine. If I get a prefab, which one should I get? 0.75 because that's optimum, right?

I also found someone local who does woodwork and said he would be happy to build it for me, but I need to let him know the dimensions and everything else to send to him. If my budget doesn't allow, then I'd just have to get a prefab, then in the future perhaps get my own box built.

Here's the size of my trunk:

https://imgur.com/a/eTvWqSg

So I'm planning on getting the Alpine. I found someone local who does woodwork and said he would be happy to build it for me, but I need to let him know the dimensions and everything else to send to him.
Here's the size of my trunk:

https://imgur.com/a/eTvWqSg
I'm reading above that you've found a builder, or someone who can possibly build something for ya'... If I help, lemme make sure I've got this correct.

Single SWS12 ported

Max dimensions 15h x 34w x 18d... that's 5.3ft3 gross BTW... it'll be a LOT smaller

What power you planning to run?.. amp/load?

Tuning?.. a daily 35hz or lower?

I'll post something up and you tell me if you're wanting to go ahead... at that point PM me

Would this be something too difficult or should I leave out the roundovers and 45's... simplify the port bend maybe?

BTW that's NOT for the Type S... that's a Type R enclosure below

FjOPn0.jpg

I'll use some width but leave the depth as little as possible within reason.

I'm reading above that you've found a builder, or someone who can possibly build something for ya'... If I help, lemme make sure I've got this correct. Single SWS12 ported

Max dimensions 15h x 34w x 18d... that's 5.3ft3 gross BTW... it'll be a LOT smaller

What power you planning to run?.. amp/load?

Tuning?.. a daily 35hz or lower?

I'll post something up and you tell me if you're wanting to go ahead... at that point PM me

Would this be something too difficult or should I leave out the roundovers and 45's... simplify the port bend maybe?

BTW that's NOT for the Type S... that's a Type R enclosure below

FjOPn0.jpg

I'll use some width but leave the depth as little as possible within reason.
Pioneer GM-D8601, 2 ohms: 500 watts x 1 chan.

Daily 35hz is fine. I read up a little bit on port tuning but still don't fully grasp what it means. The simpler the build the better of course; I'm on a tighter budget.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.