Sub not hitting as hard as expected - Possible Lc2i tuning problem

Problem solved! It is now loud as hell with the gain hardly up on the LC2i or amp and clipping only blips on really hard notes.

The problem was I had the plug-n-play adapter from TechnicPNP.com connected to the amp that powers the door speakers, which most likely had the bass frequencies already crossovered out. I connected it to the other one, and it's 100x better. I now regret buying the ported box, but may still use it since it's black carpeted and will match the trunk better.

I think I need to do a re-cone on the sub, I am getting a tapping sound when the sub is pushed hard. I had the same problem when it was in my BRZ on the Soundstream amp.
I recently had a tapping noise as well, it turned out to be a loose dust cap.

I recently had a tapping noise as well, it turned out to be a loose dust cap.
Was it visibly loose? I took the sub out of the enclosure recently to inspect and all looks fine.

The sub is rated at 750w RMS. Maybe my Soundstream amp was outputting rated power, and with this new Sundown amp being dynod at 1400w+, maybe the sub is getting pushed beyond it's limits and bottoming out. I've never witnessed a sub bottoming out so I'm not sure what it sounds like.

Was it visibly loose? I took the sub out of the enclosure recently to inspect and all looks fine.

The sub is rated at 750w RMS. Maybe my Soundstream amp was outputting rated power, and with this new Sundown amp being dynod at 1400w+, maybe the sub is getting pushed beyond it's limits and bottoming out. I've never witnessed a sub bottoming out so I'm not sure what it sounds like.
It took me a bit to find it. I tapped on the dust cap around the edges and found it.

Problem solved! It is now loud as hell with the gain hardly up on the LC2i or amp and clipping only blips on really hard notes.

The problem was I had the plug-n-play adapter from TechnicPNP.com connected to the amp that powers the door speakers, which most likely had the bass frequencies already crossovered out. I connected it to the other one, and it's 100x better. I now regret buying the ported box, but may still use it since it's black carpeted and will match the trunk better.

I think I need to do a re-cone on the sub, I am getting a tapping sound when the sub is pushed hard. I had the same problem when it was in my BRZ on the Soundstream amp.

What size is the sealed enclosure? You could be bottoming out (hitting Xmax)?

This is what mine started sounding like one day. Metal on metal tapping sound. I traced the problem to a bad connection at the fuse holder. It wasn’t technically going over xmech, it was just dirty watts. started making the sound right as the voltage dropped.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...