sub n' 6X9's?

wulff

I am new on here and did some searching and can't find the specific answers to these stoopid questions.

I have a 1987 Monte Carlo SS (fairly large trunk) and right now I have a Jensen head unit, some upgraded 2-ways in the dash and replaced the 2 4"X10"s in the rear package shelf with 3-way 6X9's I am running the front speakers off of the head unit and the rears off of my Clarion APA4203 4-channel set up bridged for the 2 rears. Would it be better to run all 4 speakers off of the amp?

Also, I bought a dual 10" (Kenwoods) sealed sub (came with it's own amp) and would like to put this in my trunk but I was reading on Decware that doing this would cancel out my rear speakers unless I sealed them from the trunk. My package shelf is such that it can't be sealed as the shelf is small (hence the factory 4" wide speakers) I used adaptors for the 6X9's and the large magnets are touching the cross-torsional bars for the trunk (springs to hold the trunk up)

so there isn't any way to seal it.

If I wired the subs out-of-phase with the 6X9's would this help or ruin the quality of sound?

If I have to I will either remove the 6X9's and put them in the rear area under the rear side windows but I would rather keep em on the package shelf.

Any ideas, guys?

Thanks in advance!

I personally wouldn't mess with 6x9s for your main sound reproduction. For the price of a nice set of 6x9s, you can find a decently nice set of component speakers. I used to have 5x7s and 4" speakers in my old car. When I bought my new car, it came with 5.25" midrange/midbass woofers and tweeters powered by a *very* small amplifer. The difference was night and day. I will never go back to 6x9s.

um, yeah, ditch the 6X9's if you want good sound... just spead all your money on good speakers up front with and amp and maybe some sound deadening and you'll never miss those rear speakers...

Can components produce bass u can feel well? And to do that do you need them in sealed kick pods?

Ha ha... Vasisios you lucky dude..don't you love the cool temps this week? It was only 118 F in my garage this morning!

Thanks guys for the help, is it because the cone is not round that makes em **** or is it the subs molesting the cones?

If I was to remove the 6X9's would my 4" (coaxials) dash speakers 'fill in' or should I add something like 5" midrange to the back seat sidepanels?

I should tell you the kind of music I listen to: Rock like Van Halen, Mettalica, Aerosmith and various 80's glam-bands. etc.

I don't listen to rap or hip hop country or jazz, etc..

So based on this can you guys recommend the best way to place em? If I remove the 6X9's should I block off the holes and let the subs fire to the rear letting the tunes go through the backseat? I have a cardboard (fiberboard) cover between the trunk and seat covered with that black speaker carpet, should I remove the fiberboard and just keep the carpet or should I let it sneak in throught the old (if I remove em) 6X9's?

Some guy at an audio store said to remove the 6X9's and place them in small boxes and point it at the seat backs and add some tweeters on the dash. another said to mount some midranges in the sub box but wouldn't that cause the same problem as the shelf mounted speakers?

Sorry to throw all these questions at you guys but I thought I knew what I was gonna do until I started to really think about it!

6x9 subwoofers

kfcwda69rc9kz.jpg

Info-

http://www.justkenwood.co.uk/speakers01/kfcwda69rc.asp

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.