Sub keeps bottoming out

Why So Cereal?
5,000+ posts

Invisible Cereal
ok so i have a FI Q 18" (fully loaded) off a cadence dakota 1200x1 rms amp. on certain songs and after played for a while, the sub will bottom out on certain songs. (i was told that weird noise was bottoming out) ive searched n searched but all the ones i found were discussing ports...i have a sealed 5 cu ft. box. so could it be that my amp is gettin hot and losing control of the sub? or what?

the amp's not getting out of control, your gain is turned up too much, or your turning up the volume too high on songs which have what im assuming is low bass.

the amp's not getting out of control, your gain is turned up too much, or your turning up the volume too high on songs which have what im assuming is low bass.
poor damping on the amp and incorrect gain settings is the answer here. you are expecting too much outta your amp. turn it down some and turn the boost on amp and bass on deck to 0.

that Q should be putting out plenty of bass. if you find yourself turning up the volume frequently, i would look into making a ported box for it. you'll get the true potential from it.

no really a clapping sound...its like a...idk how to describe it lol...but its not really a clap..its llike i can hear the sub moving but no bass from it..and it only happens after long playing times at high volume on low bass

Lol. Can't decide on a box for my friend. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif

good luck with your prahblem OP. sry to butt in.

OP if its in 5cubes sealed I think thats a bit too big. It sounds like youre hitting some low notes and the box is too big to support it. I had a FI Q in 6 cubes ported and tuned to 30hz. I could play 20hz tones all day, I couldnt drop bottom with it even on 2kw (AQ2200)

I've never modeled the sub, and I have no idea what kind of box it should be in.. but 5 cubes sealed might be too large..

As posted porting the sub may work better...

I've never modeled the sub, and I have no idea what kind of box it should be in.. but 5 cubes sealed might be too large..
As posted porting the sub may work better...
Mine was custom from Dave at PSI so it may be a different situation, but typically the FI Qs like sealed or are at least suggested sealed (IE having a high Q)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.