Sub bottoming out?

AJM511
10+ year member

Chill as a Cucumber
I have an mb quart reference 12" in a .75 cubic ft. box. The sub is 500 watts rms and 1000 watt max. I have a kenwood excelon amp rated at 520 watts rms and 1000 watts max. It seems like my sub is bottoming out alot. I have the gain about 3/4 of the way up. Is this just because it's getting too much power? or is it something else? Turning up the gain means giving it more wattage right? Is it getting 500 watts with the gain all the way down? I'm confused about that. When does it start getting more than the rms wattage?

I have an mb quart reference 12" in a .75 cubic ft. box. The sub is 500 watts rms and 1000 watt max. I have a kenwood excelon amp rated at 520 watts rms and 1000 watts max. It seems like my sub is bottoming out alot. I have the gain about 3/4 of the way up. Is this just because it's getting too much power? or is it something else? Turning up the gain means giving it more wattage right? Is it getting 500 watts with the gain all the way down? I'm confused about that. When does it start getting more than the rms wattage?
No. Start reading up on how to properly set your gain. It depends on the input voltage it receives from your HU. You can send 520watts with the gain all the way down, 520 with gain halfway, 520 with gain 3/4. It needs to be set properly or you'll ruin your equipment. Is this a sealed box it's in?

Sorry i kind of made myself sound like an idiot. I set it with a multimeter. I just estimated the gain dial was 3/4 up. It might be closer to 1/2. And yes, it's a sealed box. Would it be louder and bottom out less if i got a HU with a higher preamp voltage?

Sorry i kind of made myself sound like an idiot. I set it with a multimeter. I just estimated the gain dial was 3/4 up. It might be closer to 1/2. And yes, it's a sealed box. Would it be louder and bottom out less if i got a HU with a higher preamp voltage?
Bigger subs that take more power is what you need. Try looking at sundown audio

It does sound good! But i thought with 520 rms it would sound louder. And I still don't know exactly what makes the wattage go above 520... is it just turning the volume up higher?

the rms wattage on an amp will not go past what it is built to do, unless you start clipping it. which will cause heat to build up and burn up the subs.

and 500 watts sealed isnt very loud, ive ran a single rwe 12 sealed on around that power, was it clean, very much so, but it was not loud,

and 2 of them on the same power will be slightly louder but will not do anything spectacular

Flip the positive and negative leads around on the woofer enclosure. Turn it up a bit and see if that makes a difference. If a speaker is out of phase it can cause bottoming out because it'll pull the cone in when it needs to be pushed out... That might be the problem, but if that doesn't solve it do what the other members have said.

the rms wattage on an amp will not go past what it is built to do, unless you start clipping it. which will cause heat to build up and burn up the subs.
and 500 watts sealed isnt very loud, ive ran a single rwe 12 sealed on around that power, was it clean, very much so, but it was not loud,

and 2 of them on the same power will be slightly louder but will not do anything spectacular
Would you reccomend something else for around the same price?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.