Smelly Sub?

Participant count
  • Participant list

mackin13
10+ year member

ct
I have a massive audio cw12 in the cab of my truck in a ported box. I am running a massive p.1500 amp to, wired at 2 ohms, around 800-900 watts.

Speaker is fine and really pounds, but i have been noticing a smell recently. Last night i went to the movie with a friend and we baked the car before the trip, so i didnt smell it then. But then the next morning i got in and it smelled like burning somthing, not harsh, at first i thought it was pot, but then i came to the conclusion that it was also somthing else. Doesnt smell like burning voice coil, just like some nasty plastic or somthing venting. Is this usual? Gains are set right, sub isnt even getting hot! But it just makes my truck smell.

Hmmm could be something not dealing with the sub.

If its not getting hot i dont see it burning the VCs.

Or like said above maybe the glue on sub if its new....or caulk if box is new

Maybe its just excess glue, if the sub is new.

Maybe is the VC getting hot with excessive power or a squared signal, are you confident of your gain settings?

Maybe you have an insufficient power/ground cable that is heating up.

Maybe you just spilled some bong water.

Maybe you have another, non-stereo related problem with your vehicle.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.