Smart3 on two L7 15s 12 qu.ft sealed running 4 ohms.

1 ohm with little gain over 4 ohms with high gain trying to get enough power any day.
you haven't done a proper ported for metal. Group delay is everything, there is SQ and accuracy oriented ported boxes that allow proper accuracy in the double bass pedal kicks. Kickers do much better in ported based on their electromechanical parameters but you can just buy a random ported box or the kicker factory box, those are all trash.
I don’t see how I could get the group delay as low as a sealed box. However if I’m not happy with sealed or 4 ohms and 2000 I can add a port and wire parallel parallel to achieve 1ohm. What tuning freq would you recommend for metal?

If you listen to mainly metal music then why would you want to tune at 30? You may know this but a 20 hz tone isn’t “loud” to the ears. I see so many people lately thinking that the “loudest” portions of bass are the lows.

If you listen to mainly metal music then why would you want to tune at 30? You may know this but a 20 hz tone isn’t “loud” to the ears. I see so many people lately thinking that the “loudest” portions of bass are the lows.
Because 30 is my favorite Hz. I like low bass even when I listen to metal. I’ve built plenty of ported boxes and I like the versatility of a sealed enclosure.

You like low bass but you use a small box that rolls off at ~50hz?

What am I missing here?

No sense in telling a Kicker fanboy otherwise. I work with one. They talk at you, not with you.

I know what I like and what works for me. I have been building enclosures for 30 years. One thing I know is that experience is just as important if not more than box design programs. Just because it looks good on Win isd....
I did not mean for this to fall into the “ported vs. sealed debate.” All I asked was is it better on the Smart3 to run it at it’s highest efficiency?

I figured that if I run the smart 3 at four ohms (91% efficiency) it will last longer than at 1ohm.
Probably not. If you get a dud it'll fail regardless of what you do with it and if you get a good one you should get your money's worth out of it before it dies.

You could very easily cut a large round port into that box and test a few different tunings, you can always plug it and seal it up again if you don't like.

Probably not. If you get a dud it'll fail regardless of what you do with it and if you get a good one you should get your money's worth out of it before it dies.

You could very easily cut a large round port into that box and test a few different tunings, you can always plug it and seal it up again if you don't like.
I hope I don’t get a dud. Although whenever I cheap out I usually get burned.
You are right about the port. That option is available. I never paint myself into a corner when I build a system. Thanks for your input.

Korn does. Body Count does. I hear deep bass in heavy distorted guitar. Lots of metal does.
If you actually analyze the music, thats not anywhere close to 30hz, the lowest it goes is 37hz All you are doing is just wasting time trying to play whale notes meant for rebassed music and modern rap/trap.

The actual majority of your music is the 40 to 55hz range yes even with korn. I do a lot of analyzing audio files to see the basslines to setup my system for various genre demos.

Last edited:
If you actually analyze the music, thats not anywhere close to 30hz, the lowest it goes is 37hz All you are doing is just wasting time trying to play whale notes meant for rebassed music and modern rap/trap.

The actual majority of your music is the 40 to 55hz range yes even with korn. I do a lot of analyzing audio files to see the basslines to setup my system for various genre demos.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.