Class A/B watt vs Class D watt.

Hello,

Can anyone explain what is the difference between a class A/B watt and a class D watt?
How can 10wrms class A/B play higher than 10wrms class D? A watt is a watt, isn't it?

Most class AB amps are much cleaner sound than class D so you get more bang for the buck with class AB ... I know when I competed at one time I used a Kicker XS100 competition amp that had a certificate of 1400 watts @1 ohm and was louder and cleaner than an Atomic class D rated at 3000 @ 1 ohm ... the bass sounded better and fuller than the class D and I ended up setting a World Record in SPL using the AB amplifier ... but most AB amps are limited power wise ....so later on I ended up using class D amps to be more competitive in classes power wise ...

Most class AB amps are much cleaner sound than class D
It's as though you traveled back in time to 2006 when you made this post.

Even 10 years ago the good brands were making full range class D that loses nothing over A/B, today even the gutter brands have full range class D that you couldn't measure the difference in from A/B.

If you believe otherewise, Richard Clarke still has 10,000$ waiting for somebody to come along and take it.

It's as though you traveled back in time to 2006 when you made this post.

Even 10 years ago the good brands were making full range class D that loses nothing over A/B, today even the gutter brands have full range class D that you couldn't measure the difference in from A/B.

If you believe otherewise, Richard Clarke still has 10,000$ waiting for somebody to come along and take it.

So, even in a SQ Oriented build, there would be no significant difference in a Class D as opposed to AB?

So, even in a SQ Oriented build, there would be no significant difference in a Class D as opposed to AB?
thats the old school myth a lot of people hold on to. AB does clip a lot softer than D so if the amps are maxed out, one will sound less shitty than the other when both are basically at clipping. Call it an output filtering difference but this is prevalent in the cheap class D amps vs high end class AB. If you were to pull a high end class D (yes there's SQ top level class D nowadays) vs a high end class A/B, I highly doubt you can hear any damn difference at all.

I love my Arc Audio-Arc Series 6 channel :sneaky:.....expensive but well worth it, went from zapco class a/b to Arc class D....night and day difference

Last edited:
Not except for space and efficiency wasted with A/B. Again, it has been a long time since even the budget brands suffered from poor sound or noise.
Thanks for the input. You mentioned something similar to me before lol just nice to have some reassurance

thats the old school myth a lot of people hold on to. AB does clip a lot softer than D so if the amps are maxed out, one will sound less shitty than the other when both are basically at clipping. Call it an output filtering difference but this is prevalent in the cheap class D amps vs high end class AB. If you were to pull a high end class D (yes there's SQ top level class D nowadays) vs a high end class A/B, I highly doubt you can hear any damn difference at all.
As always. Thanks for the info!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.