Smart3 on two L7 15s 12 qu.ft sealed running 4 ohms.

GTSQ

CarAudio.com Recruit
Idaho
I figured that if I run the smart 3 at four ohms (91% efficiency) it will last longer than at 1ohm. Does this make sense?
My alt is 260 amps with 2/0 ofc big 4. XS power D1200 for 2nd battery in a 03 Avalanche. My L7s are 4ohm DVC.

Taramps are dirt cheap so I wouldn’t worry about running it at 4 ohms vs 1 ohm. If voltage is within range, it should last a good while.

Taramps are dirt cheap so I wouldn’t worry about running it at 4 ohms vs 1 ohm. If voltage is within range, it should last a good while.
Yeah. I‘m a little leery because I broke my rule of going cheap. The versatility of the amp was too enticing.

But isn't he giving up 1,000 watts by running the Smart3 at 4 ohms? It's only rated 2,000 watts @4 ohms. It seems like he would be underpowering those subs. Those subs probably need a minimum of 3K for the pair.

But isn't he giving up 1,000 watts by running the Smart3 at 4 ohms? It's only rated 2,000 watts @4 ohms. It seems like he would be underpowering those subs. Those subs probably need a minimum of 3K for the pair.
L7 don't NEED 3k for a Pair... especially Smart3 power. At 4 ohm he'll be fine imo. Personally I'd go ported if he's willing to give up as much room as stated.

L7 don't NEED 3k for a Pair... especially Smart3 power. At 4 ohm he'll be fine imo. Personally I'd go ported if he's willing to give up as much room as stated.
I stand corrected. The Kicker site recommends 1,200 rms. Plus, I thought sealed boxes need more power. And, everybody talks about impedance rise. So, I thought 3K in a sealed box would be better. But, you know more than I.

I mainly listen to fast metal music loudly so IME ported can’t keep up and the added bass isn’t necessary. When I listen to bass I lower the x-over and raise the sub level. I went with 15’s so I could have a balance between the two.

I mainly listen to fast metal music loudly so IME ported can’t keep up and the added bass isn’t necessary. When I listen to bass I lower the x-over and raise the sub level. I went with 15’s so I could have a balance between the two.
you haven't done a proper ported for metal. Group delay is everything, there is SQ and accuracy oriented ported boxes that allow proper accuracy in the double bass pedal kicks. Kickers do much better in ported based on their electromechanical parameters but you can just buy a random ported box or the kicker factory box, those are all trash.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.