Silverado DDZ build

Recones are on a truck out for delivery right now //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Subs are prepped and ready to go:

IMG_20150923_155840_448_zpsqytrrgaa.jpg

I hooked up my new alternator plug today at lunch time. I literally just have to glue the drop-ins and install the subs. Then I'm finally done!!!

Got my subs reconed and installed.

I am beyond frustrated.

After I wired the subs up, one of my friends helped me mount them. I figured I would try it at a low volume to make sure they were hooked up right.

One of the subs played and the other didn't, so we pulled out the one that wasn't playing, thinking we pinched a wire loose or something. I set it on my center console and played some music again after checking to make sure the wires had a solid connection. Still no sound out of it. I pushed on it, and it moved, so I knew the coil wasn't stuck. There was a little vibration after I pushed on it. I started fidgeting with the tinsel leads and it finally started playing. When I let go of where the tinsel leads connected to the 8 gauge wire, it stopped playing. Also, I'm mad that the wire is CCA and not OFC, but that's a minor complaint. For some reason Murphy heat-shrink wrapped all the leads and also where they connect to the 8 gauge wire. Only the black bottom tinsel lead is bad. I'm about to take the heat shrink off it and see what the deal is. I'm going to stay up all night if I have to.

They do at least look pretty

IMG_20150923_202250_611_zps97obwe33.jpg

IMG_20150923_210240_241_zpsvkni8j0t.jpg

Bummer dude. Got pic of drop in recone before it went in?
No, and it wasn't the connection to the lead.

pour all the solder in the world on that bitch.
That ended up not being the problem.

The gaps were so tight I could only fit two pieces of paper in as shims. Something like this was probably too much for my first recone job and I should have been more careful/patient.

When I push up from the bottom side on one side of the cone, it plays fine. No idea what's wrong, and I probably fucked up the recone. Any way I could possibly fix this or is it done?

I know.
I'm about done, honestly.
Whoa whoa don't pull a shammy here bro. I'm sure it's something that can be fixed easily but it might take time. You might feel impatient due to all this time and work you've invested and then it seems like it was all for nothing, but it did count for a lot of things, especially information and experience. I know people whose cars have caught on fire or have had their stuff stolen to the bone and that hasn't stopped them a bit. If anything, it helped motivate them to go bigger and better.

Oh I am sorry to see this ! Dont give up ! I know your frustrated but take a step back and chill for a while. It wont look so bad and you can think with a clear head. Is there anyone around you that does re-cones that you could possibly have take a look at it. I know your a very enthusiastic guy but why practice on your expensive subs for your first recone ? Not trying to kick you while your down and I have never done any recones but I wouldn't start with my subs lol i would try on some crap subs first. I would think there's more too it than my skills would allow. But thats done now so I think you better find someone who can take a look at them before it gets worse. Just dont give up man your so close !

Whoa whoa don't pull a shammy here bro. I'm sure it's something that can be fixed easily but it might take time. You might feel impatient due to all this time and work you've invested and then it seems like it was all for nothing, but it did count for a lot of things, especially information and experience. I know people whose cars have caught on fire or have had their stuff stolen to the bone and that hasn't stopped them a bit. If anything, it helped motivate them to go bigger and better.
I'm not going to "pull a shammy". I am not going to try an scam anyone. I now realize this is my fault, not Murphy's.

"There are two wolves constantly fighting with each other. One wolf is known as 'Darkness and Despair' and the other is known 'Light and Hope'. Which wolf wins the fight?
The one you feed."
Thanks for the motivation

Oh I am sorry to see this ! Dont give up ! I know your frustrated but take a step back and chill for a while. It wont look so bad and you can think with a clear head. Is there anyone around you that does re-cones that you could possibly have take a look at it. I know your a very enthusiastic guy but why practice on your expensive subs for your first recone ? Not trying to kick you while your down and I have never done any recones but I wouldn't start with my subs lol i would try on some crap subs first. I would think there's more too it than my skills would allow. But thats done now so I think you better find someone who can take a look at them before it gets worse. Just dont give up man your so close !
Yes, that was dumb. I should have had someone else do it. I didn't realize how truly difficult it was

Fvck plug the woofer hole and run 1 woofer and go hammer. Still gunna be pretty loud.
Thought about doing this

The other one has a little bit of coil rub, and I don't want to damage the magnets.

Ya I think you should get them to someone that knows subs to look at them, or get them redone ? I know it ***** to be so close but you will get there just not tonight. Just relax for a while and you will think of an option. It really ***** that you gotta wait so long to get the cones you want though maybe there's others that are just as good ? and faster to get hold of ? Or sent them in and have them done ? Stay strong little bro you will get there !

I'm not going to "pull a shammy". I am not going to try an scam anyone. I now realize this is my fault, not Murphy's.

Thanks for the motivation

Yes, that was dumb. I should have had someone else do it. I didn't realize how truly difficult it was

Thought about doing this

The other one has a little bit of coil rub, and I don't want to damage the magnets.
Not what I meant at all but okay. I meant it in the way where he messed up his amp but then quit in general for that minimal reason.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.