Should you not mount amps on sub box...?

Denial-

CarAudio.com Recruit
Pa
So I've just recently became part of this car audio group I randomly found on fb as just something new the have in my news feed mainly.. but since then I've been seeing tons of people saying over and over again omg don't mount the amps directly on the sub box! Move the amps right away being mounted on the sub box can ruin the amps! I've never heard of this before now... im assuming because of the vibration and what not?
Are these people just being paranoid or should you really try to avoid doing this? Space is pretty limited in my build but I could try my best to move them to the back of the seats if I had to but I thought I'd ask you guys first lol.
Also.. let's say everything wasn't mounted right to the box, there was like a thin 2x4 almost on either end mounted to the box then a thick layer of plywood type board screwed to that then the amps etc mounts to that wood, would that be alright? Thanks guys.

So I've just recently became part of this car audio group I randomly found on fb as just something new the have in my news feed mainly.. but since then I've been seeing tons of people saying over and over again omg don't mount the amps directly on the sub box! Move the amps right away being mounted on the sub box can ruin the amps! I've never heard of this before now... im assuming because of the vibration and what not?
Are these people just being paranoid or should you really try to avoid doing this? Space is pretty limited in my build but I could try my best to move them to the back of the seats if I had to but I thought I'd ask you guys first lol.
Also.. let's say everything wasn't mounted right to the box, there was like a thin 2x4 almost on either end mounted to the box then a thick layer of plywood type board screwed to that then the amps etc mounts to that wood, would that be alright? Thanks guys.

If you can avoid doing it great if not make sure that wall of the enclosure is stout and use rubber isolation under it

If you can avoid doing it great if not make sure that wall of the enclosure is stout and use rubber isolation under it
Or would a sort of 2x4 on either end and then a thicker version of plywood on top of that and then everything mounted on that wood instead of directly to the wall of the box be alright? Also do you know what this type or rubber you are talking about would be called so I can look for it at home depot or wherever else? Thanks man.

My amplifier is mounted on my box too. In my install it was the only viable option. But my box is 1 inch mdf and I use rubber isolators under the amplifier. I have felt of the amplifier while it’s playing loud and it doesn’t feel like it is vibrating any more than the floor of the car.
The rubber blocks that I use came from the hardware store in the cabinet section. No sure what they were actually meant for.

Should be fine with spacers and not directly on the box and the corners of the box are stronger than the center so use those as mounting points

My amplifier is mounted on my box too. In my install it was the only viable option. But my box is 1 inch mdf and I use rubber isolators under the amplifier. I have felt of the amplifier while it’s playing loud and it doesn’t feel like it is vibrating any more than the floor of the car.
The rubber blocks that I use came from the hardware store in the cabinet section. No sure what they were actually meant for.

Thank you, going to try to find some of these rubber bits shortly. I feel like people may just be being a bit to paranoid sometimes about certain things. I mean really, has anyone really had their amp stop working because it vibrated apart being mounted onto the box...? Or does anyone even know of anything...? Lol

As long as they are ventilated properly and mounted properly, there is no reason not to put them on the box.
If vibration is a concern, then you've got a box problem.

Thank you, going to try to find some of these rubber bits shortly.

Rubber washers, isolators, or even grommets like you would use to protect wiring when running through the firewall are all you need, if you want to feel a little better about it. Put on under each mounting hole in the amp and run your mounting hardware through it.

Back in the 90s, just about every amp I ever owned was mounted to my sub enclosures. Never had any issue with an amp going bad from vibration. Today's amps are probably made better and with better components than back then.

mean really, has anyone really had their amp stop working because it vibrated apart being mounted onto the box...?
Actually, one did burn out because of it. This amp has slide connectors for speakers and power. I used solid copper ftom the distro to the amp for aesthetics. Box vibration loosened the power plug out and starved the amp. I just heard a pop and plink with an acrid odor.

Rob that was nicely put the way you said that. My thoughts exactly.
Hammer thank you for the links for that stuff man really.

This is a common catch-phrase to develop self-worth. I've never had a problem caused by amp on my box.

I mean really, has anyone really had their amp stop working because it vibrated apart being mounted onto the box...?
I've had amps break from vibration not even mounted to the box. Of course if you have a 600W amp on a Best Buy prefab box you'll likely never have any issues but when you get into some of the stuff available today vibration absolutely puts stress on absolutely everything. Some amps in the past without proper support of very long boards were known to fail catastrophically when the board and back plate would flex enough to touch (looking at you Orion 2500D), other amps have failed with symptoms like cracked legs on components due to flexing or heavy components like chokes and torroids breaking loose (you'll notice a lot of high power amps dump loads of hot melt glue around these components now as a band-aid).

Most manufacturers responded by over-building their amps to better withstand such abuse but it's still abuse.

It is absolutely the best policy to NOT mount amps to a box, but if you insist the other possible danger is wires becoming broken or unplugged in the event of a crash if the box isn't well secured to the frame of the vehicle.

Finally, if you want to know if your mounting location is vibrating play it max volume and press your forehead against wherever you're going to mount your amp.

I've had amps break from vibration not even mounted to the box. Of course if you have a 600W amp on a Best Buy prefab box you'll likely never have any issues but when you get into some of the stuff available today vibration absolutely puts stress on absolutely everything. Some amps in the past without proper support of very long boards were known to fail catastrophically when the board and back plate would flex enough to touch (looking at you Orion 2500D), other amps have failed with symptoms like cracked legs on components due to flexing or heavy components like chokes and torroids breaking loose (you'll notice a lot of high power amps dump loads of hot melt glue around these components now as a band-aid).

Most manufacturers responded by over-building their amps to better withstand such abuse but it's still abuse.

It is absolutely the best policy to NOT mount amps to a box, but if you insist the other possible danger is wires becoming broken or unplugged in the event of a crash if the box isn't well secured to the frame of the vehicle.

Finally, if you want to know if your mounting location is vibrating play it max volume and press your forehead against wherever you're going to mount your amp.
How do you know for sure that your amps failed from vibration? Poor solder joints and low-quality components can fail even in optimal conditions.

I agree a 600w amp on a prefab box will be fine. A 600w amp literally anywhere else in the vehicle will also be fine, so that's a moot point. Show me the 5k amp that was fine off the box but failed on the box. Your forehead test will make me mount amps to my headrest.

You used "abuse" as a catch phrase. I would substitute "abuse" for "real-world conditions" in your statement.

How do you know for sure that your amps failed from vibration?
I don't know "for sure" so I guess I'd just have to take the guys who have been repairing/designing amps for decades word for it.

Talk to any of the long time established repair guys and ask them if vibration is an issue or not and if they'd recommend mounting an amplifier to a subwoofer box.

You used "abuse" as a catch phrase. I would substitute "abuse" for "real-world conditions" in your statement.

OK, I'll bite. Show me an amplifier installation/owners manual that suggests the subwoofer box as a good mounting location.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...