Should you not mount amps on sub box...?

I repaired amps for years. There's no reason to believe the vibrations on subwoofer enclosure are significantly worse than those of the car's floor board. The physical stress components experience mounted to a circuit board are far greater when accelerating or braking. Additionally, solder connection failures are common to all sorts of electronics not subject to vibrations (ie home audio gear & TVs). The common reason for these failures is poor assembly or design; heat causes the board to expand and contract (and potentially warp) and this leads to cold solder joints. There may be some unique designs I'd be reluctant to mount to a subwoofer enclosure, but for most amps it's a safe bet.

I don't know "for sure" so I guess I'd just have to take the guys who have been repairing/designing amps for decades word for it.

Talk to any of the long time established repair guys and ask them if vibration is an issue or not and if they'd recommend mounting an amplifier to a subwoofer box.

OK, I'll bite. Show me an amplifier installation/owners manual that suggests the subwoofer box as a good mounting location.
Even the guys who repair amps don't know if an amp fails from vibration unless they watch it happen. I agree their speculation weighs more than others', but it is still speculation, which is a fancy word for guessing.

Installation and owner manuals prioritize CYA, so I revert to "abuse" versus "real world".

I try to avoid it when I can to minimize hypothetical problems, but often I just prefer mounting the amps elsewhere (example, I like them better on a board behind me rear seat, than behind or on top of my box). I never had any issues with smaller setups when I would mount amps to the box. Was quick, easy, and amps came out with the box when I needed to remove it. I’ve seen tons of installs like this over the years, really hard to say with any certainty, but seldom any dire issues from it. I keep in mind that, yes it could add additional vibration, which could in fact be bad for electronics, however, might be hard to prove one way or another for a given setup / amp.

Let’s be real though, a ton of amps blow up that have never been mounted to a box, tons of amps, not limited to any brands either.

There is a lot of vibration throughout the vehicle, so it could be an issue even remotely mounting the amp. Not including driving vibration which can also be pretty rough in some vehicles, even rear view mirrors are 100% useless with bass running, my side mirrors as well, so if another panel(s) is vibrating / and or oscillating, you could still have heavy vibration elsewhere. I use to do a ton of amp repair, and not sure I ever had anywhere you could say it was box mounting that killed them. If you see heatsink mounted components legs busted / fatigued, that can indicate excessive flexing of things internally, but that's sometimes more of a design problem than box mounting it. I'll say it isn't something I stress over, and if the need arises to mount an amp to a box in future setups of mine, I will do so without much worry.

Pretty nice thread. Lots of information about this. I prefer not to any more with the amount of power I run these days. Its deff a beating to an amplifier with consistent vibration compared to intermediate various vibration or road /vehicle vibrations. At the least.. If you do decide too, at least give some space in between the enclosure and the bottom of the amplifier to keep from heat and keep it running cooler as much as possible as I do even mounting on any flat surface. heat is a killer. Only takes like 3-5 washers at the min to get some room

Pretty nice thread. Lots of information about this. I prefer not to any more with the amount of power I run these days. Its deff a beating to an amplifier with consistent vibration compared to intermediate various vibration or road /vehicle vibrations. At the least.. If you do decide too, at least give some space in between the enclosure and the bottom of the amplifier to keep from heat and keep it running cooler as much as possible as I do even mounting on any flat surface. heat is a killer. Only takes like 3-5 washers at the min to get some room

Plastic spacers are a cheap way to create space under the amp. If you're going to "lift" the amp, then you may as well spend a couple bucks on rubber feet, spacers or washers to dampen vibrations too.

Plastic spacers are a cheap way to create space under the amp. If you're going to "lift" the amp, then you may as well spend a couple bucks on rubber feet, spacers or washers to dampen vibrations too.
I like to use Rubber Grommets and washers. Work very well

It's fine to mount to the box. A lot of show car SPL setups have amps or other electronics mounted directly to the wood frame of the box or on an amp rack that might be. If those components can survive the violent shaking from a hair trick they can survive whatever you're likely doing. As an anecdote I had an Alpine 1200 amp attached to an enclosure powering an SA-12 for quite a while and it never had any problems. You'll be fine.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...