Should I use a Claybar?

You never want to wash your car again after caly the clay take contaminates out of paint and by rewashing it you are reapplying things that were on the wash mitt.

Never had a problem with mine. But I don't continually use the same applicator or wash mitt.

Sound logic though.

Wow! thanks for the replies guys. I guess the swirl marks were just from the wax not buffing out very well. they faded away within a few minutes. sounds like i'm going to be using a claybar this spring!

when you say i should wash the car properly, is there anything i should do in particular other than dish soap, rinse and dry well?

Those before and after photos of that mustang are amazing!

thanks for the compliment on my car too //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/thumbsup.gif.3287b36ca96645a13a43aff531f37f02.gif

when you say i should wash the car properly, is there anything i should do in particular other than dish soap, rinse and dry well?
Do not use dish soap. Spend the 5 bucks for automotive soap. You should also pick up a lambswool wash mitt for 6 dollars. Don't use brushes, old t-shirts, bath towels, or microfiber while cleaning the car unless you're dealing with non-painted parts.

When washing, use a two bucket system. Fill one with soap and water, the other with clean water. Dip the wash mitt into the soap, wash a panel of the car, and then rinse it off in the clean water bucket before going back for more soap. Don't let the mitt touch the bottom of either bucket. Change the clean water bucket when it starts looking dirty. Also, wash the car from top to bottom and don't use a high pressure nozzle. The "fan" setting on most garden hose nozzles works well. If you haven't washed the car for a while, washing it twice wouldn't be a bad idea.

Dry the car with several clean microfiber towels. If you have cotton towels, you can use them, but just lay them flat on a panel and push down to absorb the water. Don't wipe the surface of the car with bath towels or t-shirts. Follow up with microfiber. That's all there really is too it. Then you can commence claying!

kinda stupid can i ask whats the purpose of a claybar? ive never used one before......
i just wash rinse dry wax and im happy

It's been explained a few times in the thread.

Basically, it removes particles and contaminants that washing doesn't clear out.

Do not use dish soap. Spend the 5 bucks for automotive soap. You should also pick up a lambswool wash mitt for 6 dollars. Don't use brushes, old t-shirts, bath towels, or microfiber while cleaning the car unless you're dealing with non-painted parts.
When washing, use a two bucket system. Fill one with soap and water, the other with clean water. Dip the wash mitt into the soap, wash a panel of the car, and then rinse it off in the clean water bucket before going back for more soap. Don't let the mitt touch the bottom of either bucket. Change the clean water bucket when it starts looking dirty. Also, wash the car from top to bottom and don't use a high pressure nozzle. The "fan" setting on most garden hose nozzles works well. If you haven't washed the car for a while, washing it twice wouldn't be a bad idea.

Dry the car with several clean microfiber towels. If you have cotton towels, you can use them, but just lay them flat on a panel and push down to absorb the water. Don't wipe the surface of the car with bath towels or t-shirts. Follow up with microfiber. That's all there really is too it. Then you can commence claying!
lol @ the old T-shirt thing because that's what my dad and I use to buff out the wax on our boat... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

thanks alot for the tips my car is going to look nasty!

lol @ the old T-shirt thing because that's what my dad and I use to buff out the wax on our boat... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif
thanks alot for the tips my car is going to look nasty!
Boats generally use a different paint/clear.

I can't comment on the specific differences, but I do know that I used to work on a buddies boat that we had to sand down a fair amount everytime we pulled it out of the water, then reapply a seal.

Boats generally use a different paint/clear.
I can't comment on the specific differences, but I do know that I used to work on a buddies boat that we had to sand down a fair amount everytime we pulled it out of the water, then reapply a seal.
i see. we usually get it out of storage and it has nasty water spots all over so we take a mixture of white vinegar and water and it gets the spots off really well. then we wax the entire thing which is a huge pain in the ass but it's definitely worth it. nothing better than a shiny, smooth boat. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Does claying get off overspray?

We have a sandblaster at my work and i have lil tiny yellow spots all over my truck, and freakin windows

I know i can get the stuff off windows with a razor and windex.....but what about paint?

We have a sandblaster at my work and i have lil tiny yellow spots all over my truck, and freakin windows

I know i can get the stuff off windows with a razor and windex.....but what about paint?
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif that *****, man. hopefully someone can help you out.

Possibly, but if the paint has been dry for a while, it might not. For overspray, you can use a tiny amount of acetone. Just make sure to clean off the paint right away or it will keep eating away at the clear coat.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.