Should I use a Claybar?

All claybars are made equal. Shop by price. You'll probably only have one or two choices, anyway.

As for waxes that you can find at Autozone, I really like Meguiar's Gold Class paste wax. You don't have to let paste waxes dry, which makes them much easier to remove. That, and it smells great and is polymer based, making it a bit more resistant to the environment. And its under 10 dollars for a can that will last you 15 or so waxings.

Honestly, though, waxes are outdated for the typical car owner because the vast majority only last a month and a half, tops. I'd recommend you pick up some paint sealant one of these days. You can't buy it in most auto stores, though. I use Klasse High-Gloss paint sealant from http://www.topoftheline.com. A lot of my clients really like a layer of the paint sealant followed up by a layer of wax.

You'll want to use either quick detailer or soapy water when using the claybar. It'd be a good idea to work on one section at a time, making sure to dry the area well with some microfiber after you're done. If you do that, you can go straight to waxing.

All claybars are made equal. Shop by price. You'll probably only have one or two choices, anyway.As for waxes that you can find at Autozone, I really like Meguiar's Gold Class paste wax. You don't have to let paste waxes dry, which makes them much easier to remove. That, and it smells great and is polymer based, making it a bit more resistant to the environment. And its under 10 dollars for a can that will last you 15 or so waxings.

Honestly, though, waxes are outdated for the typical car owner because the vast majority only last a month and a half, tops. I'd recommend you pick up some paint sealant one of these days. You can't buy it in most auto stores, though.

You'll want to use either quick detailer or soapy water when using the claybar. It's be a good idea to work on one section at a time, making sure to dry the area well with some microfiber after you're done. If you do that, you can go straight to waxing.
alright cool. i'm not really sure about the paint sealant thing. i guess i don't really know much about it yet. waxing would be safe after claying though right? i don't want to leave my paint vulnerable or anything

Paint sealant is just as safe as wax and lasts 3-5x as long. Very easy to apply as well. If you don't want to leave your paint ever exposed to the environment with straight up waxing, you'll have to wax your car 6 times a year with a wax like Meguiars Gold Class. More often if your car is regularly parked outside.

Just a suggestion... I see most people waxing their cars once or twice a year and thinking that the paint is "protected." It's better than nothing, but the paint is still going to be exposed to the environment 3/4 of the year.

Paint sealant is just as safe as wax and lasts 3-5x as long. Very easy to apply as well. If you don't want to leave your paint ever exposed to the environment with straight up waxing, you'll have to wax your car 6 times a year with a wax like Meguiars Gold Class. More often if your car is regularly parked outside.
lol damnit. of course my car is parked outside.

where can i get my hands on a nice paint sealant?

how is it applied?

any risks?

sorry for all of the noob questions... lol //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/redface.gif.62fdbfe1a101588a808c4cff71bcb942.gif

Everyone here has something good to add to this thread.Remember this forum ,your wax will only last as long as the type of soap you use when you wash your car.If you want to strip your car of all oxidation here's the formula...3/4's of a cup of Tide soap powder to 1 gal. of warm water and wash mitt,wash car until car is slick,then rinse for 2 to 3 min. until chemical reaction is neutralized.Light oxidation is removed at the dealershp with industrial fall-out soap and a pressure washer.A swirl-mark is a high-low spot on the paint.A good orbital buffer with a cream wax will permanently remove ANY swirl-mark.Then apply a paint sealant--if you wash it right,you should only have to wax the car ONCE a year.I've been in the Paint and Body business for 30+ years, and the shop is still open.It's all in the wash.If I beef up my soap mixture,the wax customers are back much more often. Alpine 50...............

Your wax will only last as long as the type of soap you use when you wash your car. If you wash it right,you should only have to wax the car ONCE a year.I've been in the Paint and Body business for 30+ years, and the shop is still open.
I'm going to have to disagree with you there. No wax on the market will withstand an entire year's worth of abuse, and its longevity depends more so on the type of wax and the conditions it is subject to. The sentence in bold removes all of your credibility, even if you have been in the business for over 30 years.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.