Should I use a Claybar?

mackin
10+ year member

srsly
Plymouth, MN
Ok first i'll start with the basics..

My car is a 1999 Mazda Millenia S and when spring time comes I want to get the paint looking really good for the summer.

The Problem: Last season when I tried to wax my car it left swirl marks in my paint and you could tell the paint was oxidizing //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/plthumbsdown.gif.d7966af824c93c6021d1aae1778b1c19.gif (The swirl marks didn't stay but you could tell the wax didn't go on too cleanly)

My question is, will using a claybar before I wax help get rid of the imperfections and not have a bad effect on my paint?

I've obviously never used a claybar before and i'm just worried that it will harm my ~10 year old paint.

Thanks for any input! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/thumbsupwink.gif.129404938effda6ad9cca39e7f4b58a3.gif

pic for clicks:

sexytime.jpg

Also, if anyone knows of some detailing forums that i should lurk around on LMK!

Yes, for the most part that will get the job done. No, just be careful, if you are scared and have never done it before I would advice you to find someone that knows what they are doing.

I would recommend claying a car once a year. There are a lot of particles, such as rail dust, that regular soaps, paint cleaners, or even polishes can't remove. It's really easy, too. There is virtually no risk of damaging your paint with it.

It won't remove oxidation or swirl marks, though. I'm not sure how your swirl marks "went away." Once they are there, the only way to remove them is through a polish. Also, you won't notice a before and after difference in your paint, but it will be substantially cleaner and smoother to the touch.

PM me if you have any questions; I've detailed hundreds of cars.

Here is a shot of rail dust - it really only shows on white cars, but I guarantee your car has it everywhere. Almost every car I've ever detailed has these. Claying will remove these rusted metallic particles from your paint and will prevent oxidation.

img0386jl8.jpg

Nice car, btw! It would look fantastic with some polishing work.

Yes and get the mothers its the only one that I can find that works very well. Here are some results from one car I did clay with. "and people say it dose not work hmmm"

attachment-1.jpg
[/img]

DSC00900.jpg
[/img]

clay baring is great i do it once a year but it wont get rid of swirl marks ... it will get fine dirt particals out of the paint... if u want to get rid of the swirls u need to take a layer of clear off and to do that i would take it to a very very good detail shop that does cutting and buffing it will make it look like brand new but u have to make sure ur clear is still thick enough to do .. if not then keep the car the way it is or have a new pait job done

ONLY claybar a car that has been properly cleaned prior, or the bar will actually make your finish worse.

I claybar on average twice a year, but I only wax three times a year.

Most factory finishes dont have near enough clear for cutting, got to watch alot of refinishes too i have seen some with spot repairs that have cleared the entire panel only to have the clear lift off while buffing (poor to no prep), unless you really trust a shop i dont suggest letting them do any sanding and buffing or your paint unless they are ready to fix it if theres a problem

You never want to wash your car again after caly the clay take contaminates out of paint and by rewashing it you are reapplying things that were on the wash mitt.

Using the clay bar will basically strip your car down to where you don't have any protection. Most people use the clay bar to remove overspray, tar, etc. Prior to using the clay bar you should wash the car, rinse of all soap residue and dry off(suggesting microfiber towels). Clay the car in sections, making sure you use a detailers lubricant with the bar. Once the clay bar becomes contaminated with residue from the car or by dropping on the ground you should use a different piece or you risk ruining your paint job. After you have completely claybarred the car, wash, rins and dry again before moving on to the swirl removal. I've copied and pasted information from autogeekonline.net, that should help you with the swirl removal. If you have Porter Cable and the appropriate pads, you will love to outcome of a little hard work.

How do I polish out swirls and scratches?

The following is a general guide to polishing. It will take you from compounding to polishing to finishing. If your paint problems do not require compounding, skip to polishing. If you’re not sure, start with polishing. Always take the least aggressive approach first! If you don’t get the desired results from polishing, then use a swirl remover and light cutting pad.

The pads pictured at the beginning of each section indicate what pads can be used to perform the job described. The Meguiars G110 and the Porter Cable 7424 have the same speed settings so the following guide applies to both machines.

Please note: Deep scratches and swirls, and severe oxidation will require compounding with a circular polisher. If you are inexperienced with this type of polisher, consult a professional. If your fingernail catches the scratch or swirl, it will require painting and must be repaired by a professional.

I. Compounding & Swirl Removal

Compounding involves using the most aggressive type of swirl remover, called a compound. Swirl removers can range from light to heavy. The application is the same.

Swirl Removers

Compounds

XMT Intermediate Swirl Remover 3

XMT Fine Swirl Remover 2

Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover

Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover 3.0

Poorboy’s Super Swirl Remover 2

Meguiars #9 Swirl Remover

XMT Heavy Duty Swirl Remover 4

Optimum Compound

Optimum Hyper Compound

Poorboy’s Super Swirl Remover 3

Meguiars #4 Heavy Cut Cleaner

1. In the picture to the right, this is a serious case of swirls. Choose an orange light cutting pad and a swirl remover such as Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover 3.0 or XMT Intermediate Swirl Remover #3.

2. Apply a circle of swirl remover around the edge of the pad. Some will say apply a quarter size amount. You can even apply it directly to the paint. Ultimately you're going to spread it around so how the swirl remover gets on the paint is up to you. Spread the swirl remover over a small section (about 2 x 2 sq. ft.) with the polisher turned off to prevent sling.

3. Set the maximum speed on the polisher at 5. Turn the polisher on and work the swirl remover in a side to side, overlapping motion. Move slowly to give the abrasives time to work.

NOTE: The Porter Cable tells you if you're applying too much pressure. The pad will stop rotating. Lighten up on the machine and let it do the work for you.

4. When the swirl remover turns to a transparent film, the abrasives have broken down. Turn off the machine and lift it off the paint. Buff away the residue with a soft, Cobra Microfiber Towel and inspect your results. If you are not satisfied, repeat the process with the same product or a more aggressive compound (like XMT Heavy Duty Swirl Remover #4). If you still see no results, upgrade to the yellow cutting pad.

* If you used a compound, a light haze or dullness is normal. The next step will restore the gloss.

II. Polishing

Polishing improves the smoothness and gloss of the paint. Use a finishing polish if you’ve just compounded or if the paint just needs a boost.

If your vehicle is in great shape and you do not need a finishing polish, use Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion or XMT Carnauba Finishing Glaze to enhance the gloss without abrasives.

PreWax Cleaners

Polishes

XMT Carnauba Finishing Glaze

Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion

Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer

P21S Paintwork Cleanser

Wolfgang Finishing Glaze 3.0

Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish

XMT Ultra Fine Swirl Remover

Poorboy’s Super Swirl Remover 1

Optimum Polish

1. Use the white or green polishing pad on your polisher. Apply the polish of your choice to the pad or to the paint and spread it around with the machine turned off.

2. Set the maximum speed to about 4.5. You're not trying to cut. You're just trying to burnish the paint to a high gloss. Work in a side to side, overlapping motion until the polish turns clear.

3. Buff with a Cobra Microfiber Towel and check your results. If you can still see some haze, repeat the process. This time, be sure that the abrasives are fully broken down before you buff.

III. Finishing

You're nearing the finish line. Just a couple more steps will make your vehicle glow.

To lock in the shine, follow up with a wax or sealant. Application of any of these products will be as follows.

1. Attach a gray or blue pad to your Porter Cable 7424. Apply the product to the paint or to the pad. Spread it around the paint in a 2 x 2 sq. ft. section with the polisher turned off.

Waxes Paint Sealants

Pinnacle Souverän Wax

DP Max Wax

Pinnacle Signature Series II

P21S Concours Carnauba Wax

Poorboy’s Natty’s Paste Wax

Pinnacle Liquid Souveran

Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0

Four Star Ultimate Paint Protection

Meguiars #21 Synthetic Sealant

Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze

2. Set the maximum speed to 3 or 4. You do not need speed to apply nonabrasive products. Spread the product over the paint until its sufficiently covered. There are no abrasives to break down. You are just trying to get even coverage.

3. Buff off the product with a Cobra Microfiber Towel or slip a Microfiber Bonnet over an unused pad. The bonnet is like having a microfiber towel on your polisher. Just be sure to put the bonnet over a clean pad so no products will seep through the bonnet.

Detailing Tips:

The polisher will do the work for you. There's no need to apply pressure.

Pad and product selection is not an exact science. The severity of the imperfections, the cut of the pad, and the aggressiveness of the product all factor into the final results. Don't be afraid to experiment.

Start with the least aggressive method first. Go to a more aggressive pad or polish only if necessary.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.