Shallow mount vs 8 inch vs radical modification

So you're up against the old addages of:
1. Space makes bass.
2. There's no replacement for displacement
Rather simplified versions of Hoffman's Iron Law.

8" woofers just don't have much piston area and shallow mounts will have very limited excursion.

Your best bet would probably be to look into 4 very robust 8"s for under the seat just for the fact that it will be a better locadion/aiming of the woofers than up firing into the seat.

You may be able to lift the rear seats an inch or two to get a bit more box volume but this may be expensive and/or complex and depending on who is sitting back there it may not be practical.

I would avoid center console replacement. This is not a good location to get bass in a pickup truck.

I have an older F250 here and just have one back seat folded up and a box of around 3.75 cubic feet net behind that seat which can be removed if I need both back seats. This may be a good compromise depending how often you need ALL the passenger space. That location for a box allows you far better options for something with a large cone AND has enough depth to let you put in something with high excursion.

DO keep us posted with your results. This is a common question/issue.

I've seen two inch seat lifts for about $35.

I'll run whatever amps I need to. Is there some reason the SSA F8Ls are better than JL 8w7s or DD 2508s?

You can fit four DD2508's under the seat. They are the best 8" sub on the market. I would pair them with at least a 3K - 5K amp. The Crescendo BC4K would be a great choice. I have video and meter scores of my 4 - 8's. Believe it or not when I competed my 4 - 8's metered the lowest peak frequency of any vehicle there. 8's can get low and windy.

I'll run whatever amps I need to. Is there some reason the SSA F8Ls are better than JL 8w7s or DD 2508s?

The DD2508 really measures about 9-½". It's kind of a cheater 8" sub. That means it will need a bigger box. You won't beat the performance of the DD. A seat lift can be had for under $40 and they are almost unnoticeable after they are installed. 4 - 8's can do damage. I've already lost my rear view mirror and overhead console.

20211116_224917.jpg

The W7’s are nice subs but you’re paying a lot for the name. I’ve read some people actually prefer the TW3 over the TW5. I would do 8’s over a shallow mount even though the JL’s shallows perform well for a shallow.

8s won't play down to 30hz
Yes they can and I'd ask what music you use that will require you to play down to 30?

The JL shallow mounts are about as good as they come.... as far as shallow mounts... if you aren't scared of the price tag. Though there is a guy who sells some really sharp looking under-the-seat boxes for modern pickups, I'm sure someone else will chime in with the name. They're not cheap but they look nice and well constructed.

Yes they can and I'd ask what music you use that will require you to play down to 30?

The JL shallow mounts are about as good as they come.... as far as shallow mounts... if you aren't scared of the price tag. Though there is a guy who sells some really sharp looking under-the-seat boxes for modern pickups, I'm sure someone else will chime in with the name. They're not cheap but they look nice and well constructed.

Gately. $1,200. They look good but sound like crap.

The W7’s are nice subs but you’re paying a lot for the name. I’ve read some people actually prefer the TW3 over the TW5. I would do 8’s over a shallow mount even though the JL’s shallows perform well for a shallow.

That RDS 8" sub looks nasty. I can't find the mounting depth anywhere.

A lot of the hiphop and electronica I listen to drops to 30.

My buddy says I should just raise my rear seats and get two forward facing 10W7s instead of a bunch of 8s. Not sure what I'm going to do, I really really appreciate the comments in this thread though. I have about a month to plan it out so I'm going to take my time.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...