Shallow mount vs 8 inch vs radical modification

I’ve wondered so much about this. The Adire Brahma’s really seem so similar to w7’s. I’ve designed for both of those. The Brahma’s seem to really be something special, IMO.

I have an MK1. They're super accurate sounding subs. IMHO, in ported apps the Brahma really outperforms the w7, which tends to sound too boomy. The w7 does have a slight displacement advantage because of it's unique design. And if you buy from an authorized dealer JL's warranty service is top notch.

Check out their KH-3000’s (iirc). Their 4” coiled woofer has a seriously low Mms, like half of a DC 4” coil (roughly).

They don't have T/S specs for the 18 on their site. But my 18's have a MMS of 287g, you can't get much lighter than that on a 4" coil. Honestly, I'm don't shopping for subs I found my holy grail. If I ever see more OEM tops for my 5100s I'll buy a few spare.

Matt

They don't have T/S specs for the 18 on their site. But my 18's have a MMS of 287g, you can't get much lighter than that on a 4" coil. Honestly, I'm don't shopping for subs I found my holy grail. If I ever see more OEM tops for my 5100s I'll buy a few spare.

Matt

Wow that’s a super low Mms. Is that still that really nice woofer? I did a 4th order BP for two of those KH 15’s and really liked them. Compared to most other 4” monsters I’ve seen, those KH’s come across as maybe something like 4” coiled w7’s. Your sub is a pro-audio style sub iirc? I forget.

Wow that’s a super low Mms. Is that still that really nice woofer? I did a 4th order BP for two of those KH 15’s and really liked them. Compared to most other 4” monsters I’ve seen, those KH’s come across as maybe something like 4” coiled w7’s. Your sub is a pro-audio style sub iirc? I forget.
Yea, it's the TC sounds Pro 5100. Aura tear-drop style neo motor, 4" coil. Still trying to get this damn enclosure built. I'm about to just figure it out myself somehow.

Just an update: Ended up with 2 JL 10w7s. They sound absolutely unbelievable. Ported box tuned to 30hz. Makes my wipers jump. Anyone putting subs in a truck I HIGHLY recommend the 10w7 by JL, this **** HAMMERS and sounds fantastic as well. Hands down the best sounding system I've ever had and it's not even close.

I had to use a 2.5" seat lift and the box does protrude a couple inches but the seats are fully functional and it looks clean, imo. Sounds fantastic.

Just an update: Ended up with 2 JL 10w7s. They sound absolutely unbelievable. Ported box tuned to 30hz. Makes my wipers jump. Anyone putting subs in a truck I HIGHLY recommend the 10w7 by JL, this **** HAMMERS and sounds fantastic as well. Hands down the best sounding system I've ever had and it's not even close.

I had to use a 2.5" seat lift and the box does protrude a couple inches but the seats are fully functional and it looks clean, imo. Sounds fantastic.

No pics?

Alright, I can't get a video that does it justice at all so you'll just have to take my word that it's EXTREMELY loud. I'll see what I can do with a different phone tonight. Ported box at 3.0 cubes tuned to 30hz. It sticks out a couple inches but you don't notice it when sitting down. I mean I suppose if you're very short you might but I'm 5'11" and my knees stick out past it.

I suppose I should really say that it's two separate 1.5cu ported boxes that are part of the same construction. The ports face the passenger doors, resulting in bass that seems to press in from all sides.

I'm seriously over the moon about this system, it's more than I ever could have dreamed. The w7s were expensive but 100% worth it imo.

The build was done by Serious Autosport in West Palm Beach, Florida. This is the second system they've built for me (last one was ~9 years ago) and I'd gladly recommend them to anyone in the area.

Attachments

• IMG_9288.jpg
    IMG_9288.jpg
    925.7 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_9290.jpg
    IMG_9290.jpg
    513.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_9293.jpg
    IMG_9293.jpg
    371.1 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_9294.jpg
    IMG_9294.jpg