Setting gain *yes I read the sticky*

bruceg
10+ year member

LA
Ok, I keep getting unclear answers on this. Hook the sub up or don't hook the sub up? Everywhere I read says something different. Any definitive answer on this one?

Also, can someone double check me on my #'s?

My amp does 760RMS @ 4ohms so I need to set the gain to a voltage of 55.1, correct?

760 x 4 ohms = 3,040. SQ root of that is 55.1 (rounded)

Thanks guys!

Ok, I keep getting unclear answers on this. Hook the sub up or don't hook the sub up? Everywhere I read says something different. Any definitive answer on this one?
Also, can someone double check me on my #'s?

My amp does 760RMS @ 4ohms so I need to set the gain to a voltage of 55.1, correct?

760 x 4 ohms = 3,040. SQ root of that is 55.1 (rounded)

Thanks guys!
Don't hook sub up. And yes that voltage is correct. That's a lot of power @ 4 ohms btw nice.

Naw, this is just a little budget system for me. It's a Power Akoustick 1800 Watt (lol @1800 watts). Cheap amps, but I've used their amps for years and have nothing but good things to say about them.

I wish people that didn't have a clue what they are talking about would stop giving bad advice.... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/suicide.gif.a649d21efc0d1fd4890a6428166586c1.gif

If you own a JL Audio amplifier, or any other amp with a tightly regulated power supply then you may not need a load hooked up.... (although I would personally recommend it anyway).... If your amp is unregulated (most amps) then you most certainly should have a load hooked up to the amp... ideallly, not your subs, but a non-inductive dummy load with a DCR that is roughly equal to your subs nominal impedance... you should also be using a true RMS meter...

If you want to inquire as to why you should have a load...... set your gains with no load, then hook up your load and watch what happens to the voltage......

Hmmm. So with my gain all the way up, it was only at 47volts. That isn't as high as it should have gone up to huh???

h/u SUB setting? where are the subsonic/hpf set at? if they are filtering out some of the 50hz that can do it..

while using a load on the amp is ideal most don't have dummy loads like that.. I sure don't

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

bruceg

10+ year member
bruceg
LA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from